Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2009, - Windy Ridge, Stewart BC

March 6, 2009, - Windy Ridge, Stewart BC

3/6/09
Canada BC
Posted by ema on 3/19/09 3:18pm
Stewart is at the end of nowhere.  Well actually Hyder is a bit further then Stewart.  Still you get the picture.  The town gets 40 feet of snow a year on AVERAGE.  It sometimes snows 1.5 - 2m of snow over a 24 hours of period there.

The school in Stewart has been dusted by avalanches. 

If it wasn't so cut off from the rest of the world and if it didn't average 1.6 hours of sun in January it would be crawling with skiers.

Now THIS is a ski town - but there are no skiers.  In fact there are hardly any people. 

Our first day involved a 3 hr drive from Smithers N then W to Stewart.  Make sure your gas is filled up.  You're now officially in Northern BC.  We hit the first are we could find electing to find pow in

wow Lee, what a cool place to explore!   

(by the way, i think your links back to your TR's on your personal site are busted....please fix them :)  I wanna see more pictures!)

author=Pete A link=topic=12758.msg53141#msg53141 date=1237561000]
wow Lee, what a cool place to explore!   

(by the way, i think your links back to your TR's on your personal site are busted....please fix them :)  I wanna see more pictures!)

Just get rid of the last character (a double quote) in the url and it works fine.

ahha!  thanks!

Wow Lee,
Brings back memories of when I worked up in Misty Fjords National Monument more than 10 years ago.  Always wanted to get up Salmon Creek out of Hyder and onto the Texas Glacier to access the icefields beyond.  Never got back up there during the skiable months.  Now you have re-sparked a dream of skiing a traverse from Salmon Creek to Behm Canal and get boated back to Ketchikan!  An unfathomable amount of terrain that virtually no one ever sees.  Of course, then there is the rain!
Thanks,
John

It's great to see the area in winter.  I've been there in the fall when the bears are chasing salmon in the river. Jill and I stopped in the camper and watched the Bear Glacier calving icebergs into the lake. 

Great pictures Lee, thanks for the inspireing reports!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the most excellent TR.........

author=John_Morrow link=topic=12758.msg53146#msg53146 date=1237565319]
Wow Lee,
Brings back memories of when I worked up in Misty Fjords National Monument more than 10 years ago.  Always wanted to get up Salmon Creek out of Hyder and onto the Texas Glacier to access the icefields beyond.  Never got back up there during the skiable months.  Now you have re-sparked a dream of skiing a traverse from Salmon Creek to Behm Canal and get boated back to Ketchikan!  An unfathomable amount of terrain that virtually no one ever sees.  Of course, then there is the rain!
Thanks,
John

Hey John,  That's pretty wild.  Most people don't know that area.  It's kind of a bad idea to open a book of maps at 9 and start looking as you dont really sleep all that well after looking at icefield after icefield.  I'm hoping to go back to the Cambria Icefields later in the year and do some skiing and mountaineering and possibly both

Reply to this TR

march-6-2009-windy-ridge-stewart-bc
ema
2009-03-19 22:18:21