Home > Trip Reports > March 19, 2009, Tverrfjellet (Tromso, Norway)

March 19, 2009, Tverrfjellet (Tromso, Norway)

3/19/09
Europe
Posted by silaswild on 3/19/09 12:04am
My first ski tour north of the Arctic Circle was a classic, I guess.  Near whiteout, near freezing, "friskt" conditions as they say up here.  Sigurd took me on a short tour about 20 minutes west of Tromso, good exercise after a day of travel yesterday on busses and planes, but also nice to get out of the weather before the wind picked up.  We found conditions varying from 6" of fresh wet powder to a couple inches of fresh on a half inch wind crust over a foot of fresh powder.  Nice smoked cod sandwiches in a warm apartment after the tour, no apfel strudel, tho excellent homemade ligonberry ice cream last night after a reindeer soup.
I am in awe of those powder baskets. Reindeer hide webbing?

Great photos (love the second and third especially - very moody). Thanks for keeping up the travelog, Silas.

"Wet powder" - that phrase has been the object of some amusing conversation.

I hope you get some clear weather, not just for your sake - I want to see the views in your photos!!

author=silaswild link=topic=12746.msg53092#msg53092 date=1237475052]  Nice smoked cod sandwiches

Smoked Cod sandwiches!!! yummy!

author=silaswild link=topic=12746.msg53092#msg53092 date=1237475052]
Nice smoked cod sandwiches in a warm apartment after the tour, no apfel strudel, tho excellent homemade ligonberry ice cream last night after a reindeer soup.

This has me thinking about a new website where people connect with each other over long strings of eating gourmet meals every month of the year.  We could call it Gourmet-all-year, but it would never be GAY.

Gourmet-all-year? Where do I sign up? ;)

Seriously your pictures bring back some great memory. I spent 9 days in Tromso last March. Awesome place, awesome skiing even though they were missing a meter of snow (the ski-tech asked me do you use your skis for skiing? when he saw the edges). Hopefully you have good snow cover this year.
Here is a visual record of my trip, maybe your friend will recognize some of the locals!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157605127337979/

Of all the trips we did I would recommend Holmbukttind (1666 m) in the Lyngen Alps (about 1 hr drive from Tromso).

Reply to this TR

march-19-2009-tverrfjellet-tromso-norway
silaswild
2009-03-19 07:04:12