Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2009, East Slopes Central Cascades

March 18, 2009, East Slopes Central Cascades

3/18/09
Posted by John Morrow on 3/18/09 5:48am
Daybreak start for this one on account of afternoon obligations.
Jake came from Leavenworth on a hookey day hoping to ski powder prior to the warm up.

The goods:
Skinning was pleasant on 8 to 12 inches of new dry powder.  Considerably less snow fell east of the crest.  Good stability with higher density settled snow below, couldn't reach the "mega crust" that is rapidly breaking down.  Skiing on North aspects above 4500 feet was excellent through a foot of snow on the consistent base.

The forecast: 
By noon it was getting warm.  Cloud cover was breaking up.  Here's my assumptions.
Aspects that see sun below 4500 feet will crust.
Shaded aspects from 4500 feet to the valley floors may also form a melt-freeze crust.
I'm hoping that shaded aspects above 5000 feet will dry out in the clear cold nights without crusting.  But it can take a while to climb to that altitude through the "crud zone" over here.

Synopsis:
Still may be worth skinning up to the high shaded slopes this side of the mountains this weekend.
Watch the various snotels/telemetry to see if rain kills the opportunity.

For once I think we timed it about perfectly, but I think I am getting on my boss' nerves and really need to get back to my normal work ethic!

Reply to this TR

march-18-2009-east-slopes-central-cascades
John Morrow
2009-03-18 12:48:16