Home > Trip Reports > March 15, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob

March 15, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob

3/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 3/17/09 2:56am
With high avy danger forecasts our desires to ski the slot or Lundin were dissuaded.
We again chose to tour the Knob and make laps.  There was a skin track put in half way up before the party ahead of us turned around.  From there each of us took turns wading through the knee and sometimes nearly thigh deep snow. 
With 5 in our group our time in front would be only 10 minutes or so of exhausting forging before the next would get their chance to warm up.

After a snack at the top we ventured down for a lap and found on occasion we had to push ourselves along through the heavy snow.  Bob was first to cut a ~10" fracture at the bottom of our slope.  At this point winds had picked up and visibility diminished.  We forged a new skin track up again to meet our original track to the summit. 

Gale winds proceeded as we quickly removed our skins and headed down for the day.  With bitter cold hands and faces only a few photos were taken.  I have never skied in such unstable snow and was relieved we experienced no more slides, although a couple crowns from spontaneous slides were noticed in open slopes.

Pictures can be found at:  http://picasaweb.google.com/victormesny/KendallKnobBis#

Our group was new to each other and it turned out to be great chemistry and fun times despite the conditions.  Thanks to Victor, Jake, Bob and Crystal for the good times and smiles!  :)
Wow, I am missing the best snow of the year.  Although, January 2 at Crystal still remains high on my list.  Thanks for the photos of awesome snow!

Judging from your (Silas) TRs I can’t believe that you're too stressed about missing the best Cascade snow of the season ;)  Not to worry though, it was on the heavy side at Snoqualmie… but what it lacked in quality it made up for in quantity. Okay it was a bit of a wallow fest, but a great time and a very fun group. I love the extreme summit photo on.... Kendal Knob! Thanks Lisa.

Silas - I've had multiple days with you not far from Kendall Knob that were more fun than what I experienced in the area on the 15th. It was a fun day out to be clear, but more in the "being out in a storm" way than "wow, the turns were just mind blowing and plentiful everywhere" fashion. I was with our mutual pal who survived a full burial some 20 years ago near Crystal, and I think she wisely steered our group away from the runs that would have been steep enough for decent turns (it was not at all hard for her to get the other 6 of us to agree).

And there was no hut serving good wine and hot soup anywhere near our high point.

Reply to this TR

march-15-2009-snoqualmie-pass-kendall-knob
Lisa
2009-03-17 09:56:29