telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/22/14, 06:36 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 15, 2009 Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 15, 2009 Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob  (Read 1330 times)
Lisa

March 15, 2009 Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob
« on: 03/17/09, 10:56 AM »

With high avy danger forecasts our desires to ski the slot or Lundin were dissuaded.
We again chose to tour the Knob and make laps.  There was a skin track put in half way up before the party ahead of us turned around.  From there each of us took turns wading through the knee and sometimes nearly thigh deep snow. 
With 5 in our group our time in front would be only 10 minutes or so of exhausting forging before the next would get their chance to warm up.

After a snack at the top we ventured down for a lap and found on occasion we had to push ourselves along through the heavy snow.  Bob was first to cut a ~10" fracture at the bottom of our slope.  At this point winds had picked up and visibility diminished.  We forged a new skin track up again to meet our original track to the summit. 

Gale winds proceeded as we quickly removed our skins and headed down for the day.  With bitter cold hands and faces only a few photos were taken.  I have never skied in such unstable snow and was relieved we experienced no more slides, although a couple crowns from spontaneous slides were noticed in open slopes.

Pictures can be found at:  http://picasaweb.google.com/victormesny/KendallKnobBis#

Our group was new to each other and it turned out to be great chemistry and fun times despite the conditions.  Thanks to Victor, Jake, Bob and Crystal for the good times and smiles!  Smiley

* KendallKnob03Bob_Medium.jpg (18.96 KB, 800x533 - viewed 707 times.)

* KendallKnob03summit_Medium.jpg (31.43 KB, 800x531 - viewed 725 times.)

* lisakendal_Medium.jpg (32.03 KB, 481x600 - viewed 730 times.)
silaswild

Re: March 15, 2009 Snoqualmie Pass Kendall Knob
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/09, 11:29 AM »

Wow, I am missing the best snow of the year.   Although, January 2 at Crystal still remains high on my list.  Thanks for the photos of awesome snow!
bobS

« Reply #2 on: 03/17/09, 12:37 PM »

Judging from your (Silas) TRs I can’t believe that you're too stressed about missing the best Cascade snow of the season Wink  Not to worry though, it was on the heavy side at Snoqualmie… but what it lacked in quality it made up for in quantity. Okay it was a bit of a wallow fest, but a great time and a very fun group. I love the extreme summit photo on.... Kendal Knob! Thanks Lisa.
Jim Oker
TAY Moderator

« Reply #3 on: 03/17/09, 04:37 PM »

Silas - I've had multiple days with you not far from Kendall Knob that were more fun than what I experienced in the area on the 15th. It was a fun day out to be clear, but more in the "being out in a storm" way than "wow, the turns were just mind blowing and plentiful everywhere" fashion. I was with our mutual pal who survived a full burial some 20 years ago near Crystal, and I think she wisely steered our group away from the runs that would have been steep enough for decent turns (it was not at all hard for her to get the other 6 of us to agree).

And there was no hut serving good wine and hot soup anywhere near our high point.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.