Home > Trip Reports > March 15, 2009, Axamar Koegel (the back yard)

March 15, 2009, Axamar Koegel (the back yard)

3/15/09
Posted by silaswild on 3/16/09 1:25am
Weather did not look great this morning, freezing level seemed kind of high, but Lea (overtheocean on teletips, klar on TGR) had invited me on a tour with her big skis posse.  When I called and learned their might be issues making room for me in the cars for this 1400m tour, I decided to forego the experience of trying to keep up with youngsters both up and downhill, and enjoyed breakfast with Steven before he departed for home (Geneva.) 

Then I thought, maybe this is my chance to ski local, bail easily if it began raining, so I rode with Steven 10 minutes from Wolfi's place to 940m, the end of a ski run from Axamar Lizums ski area.  Weather was perfect for this personal rando race, there were about 30-50 folks who also made it their exercise for the day, all of whom passed me except one 75 year old, and a 50 year old lady.  Anyway I kept looking for an excuse to ski down, but the weather was too nice to stop before the summit of the Koegel, 1160m up.  My respect for the Vertfesters has increased.
Well, it's official. I think you do actually know everybody.

Silas, if i ski half as much as you when i am half your age, that wouldn't be so bad..

you didn't miss anything spectacular yesterday. seeing as you complained about my lack of picture posting: my friend Simon has some up here http://www.steilwaende.at/

today was nice in the ötztal, gorgeous weather and three or four good turns between the sastrugi.

see you in april!

Reply to this TR

march-15-2009-axamar-koegel-the-back-yard
silaswild
2009-03-16 08:25:12