Home > Trip Reports > March 13 - Chair Peak Basin

March 13 - Chair Peak Basin

3/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Big Hurt Bob on 3/13/09 10:33am
So, after we abandoned our attempt on Ptarmigain Ridge on Rainier due to deep snow, heavy packs, and slow going, we decided to get out for a quick tour up to Chair Peak basin. It was quite warm and we witnessed some natural, small releases.

Dan,
I assume you took skis on Ptarmigan, but that would still be a heroic endeavor under these conditions. I'm wanting to do FFinger as soon as the weather/snowpack settles a bit. You interested? I've tried to email you a few times, but they don't go through.

bigeo:

We did ski into Ptarmigan Ridge. We figured the approach to be in the neighborhood of 25-30 miles. We made it about half way. We reconned the approach into Glacier Basin a number of weeks ago and found very easy skinning. This time it was very difficult going in deep snow. To add insult to injury a lone climber on his way to Liberty Ridge snow-shoed directly in our skin track.  >:(  and once we reached HWY 410 we discovered it had been plowed down to bare pavement  ??? so we had to walk the road. Fortunately a work crew gave us a ride the rest of the way in their truck.  :D

Would love to climb FF again although I am not sure I have the guns to ski back down it  :).

Not sure why my email won't work for you. I will try sending you an email.

Dan

Reply to this TR

march-13-chair-peak-basin
Big Hurt Bob
2009-03-13 17:33:26