Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2008, Mt Snoqualmie, Slot+Middle Fork

March 12, 2008, Mt Snoqualmie, Slot+Middle Fork

3/12/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ski_photomatt on 3/13/09 8:39am
Tim and I yo-yo Mt Snoqualmie a few times yesterday.  We didn't quite make the 10K we targeted but got close (~9500 ft).  Middle Fork run gets boney below 4K and below 3K it seemed we were skiing on nothing except the recent snow (i.e. really boney).  It won't last long once it warms up.  Slot was wind/skier hammered, mostly breakable wind crust (supportive at times) above the apron.

Good to see a familiar face up there and meet some new folks.  Our last run was quite a study in contrasts.  We teamed up with Brian who we met on the summit;  with his Megawatts, alpine bindings and boots he made < 1/5 of the turns we did with our T2's and mid-fat tele skis.  Quite impressive to watch him gracefully arc down 500 ft of vertical with a few turns.

Thanks to whoever put in the track up from the bottom of the Middle Fork run;  if you lost a glove I have it.  Send me a PM or my e-mail is in my profile.
You found my glove!

I'll send you a PM so we can figure out a low-hassle way for me to get the glove back. Thanks for retrieving it.

I'm glad the skin track was helpful. I hope the all the forest-land  skin-track shenanigans were OK - lots of logs, holes and short switchbacks, but totally worth the effort. We got out of the middle-fork hole faster than we expected.

We shoulda sucked it up and added the Slot to the end of our day. Oyvind's party put down some very nice tracks while we watched. Way to go get it.

Short video of our trip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimhirshfield/NSideSnoqualmie#5312789503395521522

Nice to see you again Matt. I think 9500 is close enough to just round up.
Great video Jim.

Sweet video -- nice work on the production.  Looks like that took some time to put together.  We almost did that trip Thursday as well -- opted for N face of Chair instead which was highly wind scoured.  Looks like you had the place largely to yourselves once lower down on the mountain.

What a great video, thanks for sharing!!! ;D

Glad you liked the video. It took maybe an hour to make, done 10-15 minutes at a time between other stuff. I just used the basic movie maker software bundled with Vista. This was about my 3rd attempt at this sort of thing.

Really, it was a pretty casual effort. The bluebird weather, ski talent and cold smoke snow really deserve all the credit. I just showed up on the right day (they say you get credit in life for showing up, right?).

Reply to this TR

march-12-2008-mt-snoqualmie-slot-middle-fork
ski_photomatt
2009-03-13 15:39:28