telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/31/14, 12:38 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  11 Mar 2008: Stevens Pass Full Moon trip
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11 Mar 2008: Stevens Pass Full Moon trip  (Read 2985 times)
haggis

11 Mar 2008: Stevens Pass Full Moon trip
« on: 03/12/09, 01:23 PM »

Jim had the idea, 4 others tagged along for the full moon tour at Stevens.  Crystal clear night with temps dropping to near 0F on the East side with the slight E breeze.  With the snow as stable as it was we felt quite confortable riding down some mellow lines and a couple of gentle chutes.  Snow was delightful powder, untouched and so close to the Pass.  Skinning up by moonlight only was an excellent experience and the light dancing off the nearby mountains drew out the kids in all of us.

Fun, safe night.  Hopefully Salal will post some pictures if they turned out OK.
Charlie Hagedorn

Re: 11 Mar 2008: Stevens Pass Full Moon trip
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/09, 01:39 PM »

Smiley.

Jim Oker
TAY Moderator

« Reply #2 on: 03/12/09, 05:10 PM »

Touring under a full moon in fresh snow is amazing. I haven't done it in a while, though. Good job getting out for it this week!
Salal

« Reply #3 on: 03/12/09, 08:07 PM »

This week has been the highlight of the season so far. Nice getting out with you all. Most of my photos did not work due to cold hands.

haggis

« Reply #4 on: 03/12/09, 08:47 PM »

Great pictures that came out!  All that time hanging around getting cold and the others never came out!

Wish I could start again from last Friday, the past week certainly has been the highlight.
Cornfed
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 03/12/09, 09:39 PM »

One of the coolest ideas and days to do it -- nice initiative for the full moon skiing!  It was indeed a beautiful cold night!  Would have loved to join that one!  We saved up for a tour of the North Face of Chair down to Snow Lake today.  Lots of wind affected slabs -- it was a wind tunnel.  South facing slopes are getting very crusty. 
davidG

« Reply #6 on: 03/13/09, 06:56 AM »

What fun !  And nice pics, too.  I've done some midnight touring, but only on levelish ground and track gear.  Getting in some turns in a 3D environment where you are embedded in a photographic negative must be a rush, if slightly disorienting sensation.  It's been a few years, but we would occasionally fly our hangliders under a full moon when we could find an upslope wind.  Ridge soaring, in black and white, where terrain features and objects, like trees, which during the day are dark, but now are white, and where light colored areas now are shadowed black, is an excercize that holds your attention on several levels.  For landing, we would either have a volunteer, or the first hapless soul who could not remain aloft, would be the first to impact in the LZ.  It was then his/her job to start the truck and turn on the headlights to give some sense of depth perception.  Often as not, though, somebody would end up smacking the truck - the deer in the headlights thing...   Why more of us weren't injured I still can't figure, but what a blast it's been.

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Stugie

« Reply #7 on: 03/13/09, 08:30 AM »

Those are some stellar pictures!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
jd

« Reply #8 on: 03/13/09, 11:47 AM »

Great idea and cool shots. I used to do this almost every month when I lived in Salt Lake. We also went ice and rock climbing by full moon, sometimes without headlamps at all, which led to some tricky work placing and retreiving pro out of dark cracks!
JimG
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 03/13/09, 09:42 PM »

Thought I would add a few pics from the night.  Amazing trip, thanks for joining up and burning the midnight oil!  Can't wait till all the cards fall into place again.

* Moon_Snow1crop.jpg (67.27 KB, 640x422 - viewed 436 times.)

* Moon_Snow2crop.jpg (59.76 KB, 640x480 - viewed 424 times.)
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.