Home > Trip Reports > March 10, Paradise

March 10, Paradise

3/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by alpymarr on 3/11/09 3:27am
Blower conditions on all aspects. Deep. Powder. Best touring turns all year. Skied numerous aspects with SB Graham and some rookies. Started with Alta Vista down to the road....total white room powder enveloping every thing. Triggered a sizeable slab in open trees, ESE aspect, 18 inch crown 30 feet path width, was able to ski out of it, lucky it didnt go bigger. Starting zone on a small 40 degree convexity. Otherwise stability was good, but much caution was given and we skied low angle runs the rest of the day. West face Mazama was phenomenal and lapped it 4 times before heading out to the backbowl. At least 3 feet unconsolidated fluff there. Trailbreaking was a chore, but not too bad considering the low density snow. Although the forecast called for sun, it snowed all day. Road was open at 10:30, compact snow and ice. Not to many parties out, saw a couple of skiers in Upper Paradise river area...looked sweet. I should be there right now...stupid work. Closest thing to Utah I've skied since I was there....go get it. Pics, powder shots and snorkeling.
author=alpymarr link=topic=12628.msg52646#msg52646 date=1236796048]
At least 3 feet unconsolidated fluff there.

I want to go to there...

Was up there today in that nice powder; broke trail from 4th Xing to the cornices on the knife-edge ridge facing east over the back bowl on the way to Stevens-VanTrump Monument/Sluskin Falls.  But by that time the sun was really starting to affect the snow on east and south slopes (despite a high of 19 F when I left the parking lot) and I didn't want to be on that slope or under those cornices.

You guys must have made the trail from the 'toilet bowl' just below 4th Xing (which I didn't see till I topped Mazama--of which I am glad, breaking trail in that powder with no sign of anyone was great!).

Reply to this TR

march-10-paradise
alpymarr
2009-03-11 10:27:28