Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2009, Stevens Pass - Heather Ridge

March 8, 2009, Stevens Pass - Heather Ridge

3/8/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by JimD on 3/8/09 10:00pm
A couple inches of snow in Lake Stevens, and the winter storm warning had me worried about driving conditions. I was surprised at the clear streets and sky once I hit Hwy 9, but getting there was still epic. Eric and I got caught in the parking mess at the pass just as all the lots filled up. We were a hundred yards from the first lot when traffic ground to a halt as people from the upper lots came back to the first which still had a few places and cut across the west bound lanes stopping them. It then took over half an hour to make it through and down to Yodelin where we had a long wait for a shuttle bus back up. We kept debating whether to just go to Yodelin, or walk across the street and head up the crest trail. The bus got there before we decided so we stuck with the sure thing, figuring since we were now so late there would be a good track up the regular route.

We were surprised to find just a snowshoe track that looked to have been set by two people (thigh deep in places) and two other skiers heading up at the same time as we were (we only saw a few other people all day). We were also surprised at the sunny and calm conditions. We were dressed for blustery cold and stopped to shed layers. With all the new snow we decided to stick to safer routes through the trees down the SE slopes. We were disappointed that the snow had already gotten so heavy on the first lower angled slopes that it required walking down, but we managed to get in some turns and even a face shot on the lower shots. Some clouds, snow showers, and colder temps seemed to dry out the surface a bit for the second run, and on the third I found perfect powder in a protected little gully. Gotta love late winter in the NW!

Great photos Jim.  I saw some tracks on the ridge while skiing Stevens with my 5 year old and was glad to see somebody getting into the BC.  I think a lot of people picked the safety of the lifts.  I have never seen so many people on tele and AT gear riding the lifts as I did yesterday.

Robert

author=robert link=topic=12584.msg52537#msg52537 date=1236623153]
  I have never seen so many people on tele and AT gear riding the lifts as I did yesterday.

Robert

I was pleased to see quite a few bc oriented skiers during the previous week at Stevens. Unfortunately none of the skiers that I approached were familiar with our little website.

Nice job, boys!!! Went up to the resort Mon., couldn't believe the devastation that one day of weekend warriors could do... must of been a free for all at the resort.
I expect you to rub it in real good, Jim....

Reply to this TR

march-8-2009-stevens-pass-heather-ridge
JimD
2009-03-09 05:00:35