Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2009, Dawn Patrol Kendall Stump

March 6, 2009, Dawn Patrol Kendall Stump

3/6/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by iluka on 3/6/09 7:27am
Met up with Rob (Cornfed), Patrick (Gear Up) and Ben (Plinko) this morning for a quick run up to the pass to take advantage of the new snow. By the time we got going, another pair had already headed uphill and laid in a great track to the top of the stump. Up top, we found at least 10-12 inches of completely unconsolidated, light powder on the firm crust. Never felt the crust while descending except in a few spots in the forest. Patrick and Ben did one run before heading off to Alpental while Rob and I did a few laps to take advantage of the good conditions. As good a bunch of snow as we've had this season.

I didn't have my camera but perhaps someone will post a few.
Thanks for the report Andy, I have been wondering all day what snow conditions might be up there.  I hope we get some more cold snow this weekend over the crest and I can convince Larry to go out early next week. 
Jane

Temps were in the teens most fo the morning, but I suspect the strong sunshine may have begun to impact south facing slopes.  Top of the ridge was wind affected with one or two spots down to the crust.  Winds appeared to have come mostly from the south because drifting was to the N/ NE.  We saw very stable conditions with one small sluff on a short but steep road cut which was close to 45 degrees.

The powder was VERY light.  Haggis - sorry we missed you this morning.  Next time.  I would have loved to stay all day!

author=larry's sister link=topic=12560.msg52455#msg52455 date=1236387734]
Thanks for the report Andy, I have been wondering all day what snow conditions might be up there.  I hope we get some more cold snow this weekend over the crest and I can convince Larry to go out early next week. 
Jane

Hi Jane,
I found mostly 12 to 14 inches of super light uncohesive snow (from yesterday), on top of 5 to 7 inches denser settled powder, over a variety of crusts in my trip today.  As you could assume, none of this snow was subject to wind transport.  Nicely "right side up" snowpack.  Sasse's gonna be great with the continued cold temps and time to settle a bit more!
J

Thanks Andrew for the write up and the company this morning. :)

Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/djbenno/20090306KendallStumpDawnPatrolAplentalBC?feat=directlink

author=Plinko link=topic=12560.msg52465#msg52465 date=1236402191]
Thanks Andrew for the write up and the company this morning. :)

Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/djbenno/20090306KendallStumpDawnPatrolAplentalBC?feat=directlink

Ben & Patrick,

This is Mike.  You guys took me back towards Pineapple Pass right before noon.  Thanks for letting me tag along.  I really appreciated it.  I attached my one photo from my iPhone which is lacking a bit in quality.  Ben in action coming down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15919455@N07/3342446629/

This is my first post on this forum and looking forward to more.  I just picked up a new AT setup and will be heading to Snoq Pass groomed runs this week to practice skinning and learning the ropes of AT gear.

Thanks again for letting me follow you guys.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike! What's cracken??  Welcome to TAY!  It was a pleasure skiing with you this past Friday.  Let me know when you feel comfortable enough to head out on a day tour.  Best of luck to you in your quest for the grail. :)

author=Plinko link=topic=12560.msg52577#msg52577 date=1236661766]
Mike! What's cracken??  Welcome to TAY!  It was a pleasure skiing with you this past Friday.  Let me know when you feel comfortable enough to head out on a day tour.  Best of luck to you in your quest for the grail. :)

cracken is part of my last name...McCracken...

I'll make sure to send out a notice for some "rookie" trip in the near future and see who will join me. 

The grail is out there right?

Cheers,
Mike

Reply to this TR

march-6-2009-dawn-patrol-kendall-stump
iluka
2009-03-06 15:27:03