Home > Trip Reports > March 5, 2009, Lamsenspitze (Sellrain)

March 5, 2009, Lamsenspitze (Sellrain)

3/5/09
Posted by silaswild on 3/5/09 5:04am
Classic Pacific NW weather today, just above the rain/snow line, 300' visibility.  Skinning up variable conditions thinking "this will be awful coming down in a whiteout", and it was.  Good 3000' climb, saw a few racers training for the rando relay on Sunday, no photos of skiing (see http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=9716.0 for a better day.)   But here are a few of "guess the dessert" a la Lou Dawson wildsnow website.  This is what makes Euro skiing so great, a few hours on Mother Nature's outdoor stairmaster allows free reign at the bar after the tour.  No I did not consume all of these desserts, only one.

Tomorrow's forecast is worse weather, looks like a "culture" day in town, checking out ski touring guidebooks and ski gear sales.
Some of those look more like an eggs benedict dish than a dessert.

What exactly is dessert1? Looks something like what my folks like sometimes: ball of ice cream with some of those dutch choco crumbles and Bols Eierlikor spread over generously. Except yours (unless it's an optical illusion vs the scale of the hand) is 10 times as big as any human should ever attempt eating.

author=wolfs link=topic=12549.msg52398#msg52398 date=1236291302]
What exactly is dessert1? Looks something like what my folks like sometimes: ball of ice cream with some of those dutch choco crumbles and Bols Eierlikor spread over generously. Except yours (unless it's an optical illusion vs the scale of the hand) is 10 times as big as any human should ever attempt eating.

It is a sweet dumpling (Germknoedel) with poppy seeds.  It is about the size of a baseball, swimming in vanilla sauce and costs 3 euros.   Today my dessert/lunch was #2, Sacher Tort.   Five hours later, dinner was Speck Knoedel, smoked ham dumpling in a vegetable soup, and salad.

jee, my guess was mudpie, brownies and cool whip, and jello pudding with corn...

just like a European...all apres-ski no actual skiing.  bet those other shots were just photo-shopped....

Hi Silas !

That is the second time that we miss each other in Europe. I was the whole of last week in Sölden but had no partner to skitour. So I skied the lifts in Sölden harvesting the powder as the friends were not available during the week.

On sunday I watched them competing at the Lampsenspitze.

www.wildsaurennen.com

Take care

Matthäus

PS.: I really love the Germknödel, but the Kaiserschmarrn comes first. Sometimes it has more the volume of a whole meal than a dessert. The Apfelstrudel is great as well. Try "Mohr im Hemd" the next time. ;-)

Reply to this TR

march-5-2009-lamsenspitze-sellrain
silaswild
2009-03-05 13:04:33