Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2009, Grosse Windegg (Tirol)

March 4, 2009, Grosse Windegg (Tirol)

3/4/09
Posted by silaswild on 3/4/09 5:02am
After a thankfully non-eventful set of flights and shuttle service, I arrived Innsbruck at 430pm yesterday in warm wet weather.  Took a two hour nap, ate dinner, and went to bed to make up for the past two nights of three hours of sleep.  Felt good in the AM today, especially with blue sky and cooler temperatures.  Forecast was for windy, dust on breakable crust conditions so we aimed for a short day.

Fortunately we found boot top powder on a fairly firm crust (except the lower 500') and followed a nice skin track to the summit ridge of Grosse Windegg, just west of Kuhtai in Tirol.  It was only 3000', good start for Europe2009 ski tour.
Hey!  I thought you were going to call me when you headed up to the mountains!  ;D

Nice zipper tracks coming off the ridge.  Have fun over there, Silas.

And so it begins! Have fun. :).

Wow!

Nasty looking slide on the RHS of the photo too!

Silas - thought you were starting the trip in Norway - plans change?

author=haggis link=topic=12536.msg52356#msg52356 date=1236206133]
Nasty looking slide on the RHS of the photo too!

Good eye!  In fact there was some big warming a few days ago, and lots of windslab avalanches everywhere, so we had to choose carefully where to ski yesterday.  Russ, the plan is to ski two weeks in Sudtirol and Dolomiti, not sure if we will get there, then two weeks in North Norway (Lyngen alps) and two weeks in Central Norway (Romsdal, where I worked on a farm for the summer of 1973) before returning to Innsbruck for mid April to mid May higher altitude skitouring and corn snow.

Nice photos of your Tirolian Ski Tours!  I spent  a year of college in Munich and toured quite a bit in that area that year.  I have some fond memories of the village of Gries and the Westafalenhutte.   Pretty amazing skiing and the access is just amazing.  Add the food and beer and it is an intoxicating combination. Enjoy!

Reply to this TR

march-4-2009-grosse-windegg-tirol
silaswild
2009-03-04 13:02:06