Home > Trip Reports > Movie - March 1-2: Graupel Warning at Stevens!

Movie - March 1-2: Graupel Warning at Stevens!

3/15/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by savegondor on 3/2/09 1:51pm
MOVIE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bxD6yFG4po&feature=email

Two days in a row in the North Stevens BC.  Probably saw some fellow TAYers.  Asked one fellow where he was headed and he replied cryptically, "uh...um...heading north"  and sped on past my brother and I.  not being one for another STASH to pass me by, I went north and found the goods.  Returned today and went further north and found even more goods. 

I would like to issue a warning on future snow stability:  It snowed 1-2cm of graupel today and if it snows more this could end up being a nasty surprise in wind loaded slab prone areas. 

Snow pits both today and yesterday showed partial wet-snow slab sheer at 4" and slab failure on top of the rain/sun/cold crust down 2.5 to 3 feet.  The ice-crust sheer took quite a bit of effort on a shovel pull test and nothing went either today or yesterday on compression tests.  The only thing that went was the partial wet snow slab at 4-6" today with one small hop on the Rutschblock test.  Lots of rollies going today on 30+degree slopes. 
Nope - we honestly didn't know where we were headed, only that N/NW aspects were where we wanted to go.  We followed our noses to good snow; sounds like you did too!

yeah...well...even though you were being more honest than I thought...it still got my jealousy up...and hence I explored some new stuff to me.  it was great!

It is one thing to share conditions/reports after the fact as we do here, quite another to do so on the way up to a hopefull stash of pow - just telling which aspect was pretty open!

author=jd link=topic=12521.msg52287#msg52287 date=1236099563]
It is one thing to share conditions/reports after the fact as we do here, quite another to do so on the way up to a hopefull stash of pow - just telling which aspect was pretty open!

There is plenty for everyone.  Case in point:  Lots of TAYers complain of crowds at Paradise.  And it's true...there are a lot of people up there these days.   But keeping the STASH a secret is kind of funny to me.  It's mere existence as a "secret" is absurd.  There are vast amounts of terrain accessible from the Paradise parking lot that no-one goes to.  In the case of Stevens Pass North the number of chutes and bowls not skied regularly is relatively  huge.  No need to not be specific. 

If an area get's hammered go elsewhere and find a new "Stash".  There are plenty to be had!

PS: JD, how fat are your skis?

Reply to this TR

movie-march-1-2-graupel-warning-at-stevens
savegondor
2009-03-02 21:51:54