Home > Forum > Providing some redundancy by using Recco diodes

Providing some redundancy by using Recco diodes

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
16 Feb 2004 07:14 #168901 by Charles
(Note: I am posting this message for Gary Brill, who is having problems with posting.)<br><br>"Charles,<br>Because I am unable to post as of yet, can you post this message from Frank Baumann. (Frank is the one who is reviewing the Durrand accident. Apparently, in the recent Nelson avalanche there was a transceiver malfunction or user failure):<br><br>"&gt;In light of the fatal snow cat skiing avalanche accident at Nelson, where the victim's avalanche transceiver was not working, the issue of providing some redundancy by using Recco diodes should be seriously considered. The Recco system is described at www.reccona.com/

>Recco diodes are small electronic devices, about the size of a big
postage stamp, that can be sewn into clothing or boots. They don't require any power source, but if someone is buried, a special receiver is used to track down a buried diode, much like finding a buried transceiver. ÊIn bulk, Recco diodes cost about $2.00 apiece; if you order them individually, they cost about $12 apiece. ÊSome ski areas place a Recco diode in each of their Avalauncher shells so that if one fails to explode, the dud can be found in the snow.

>So should all backcountry skiers have a Recco system as a back-up? ÊFor normal backcountry skiers, the receivers are too expensive and bulky to carry, so this might not be practical; but having a diode on your person is definitely a good thing to consider. Many ski areas employ the Recco system, and so for avalanches that occur in or near such a ski area, having a diode on your person may allow an effective rescue to be carried out (unfortunately, no ski area near Nelson uses the Recco system). Requiring all ski areas, and heli and cat skiing operations to have a full Recco system might save lives, though. At the very least, this would allow a body to be found faster, and reduce the exposure time of rescuers to avalanche hazard.

>However, keep in mind that as useful as the Recco system might be, it is a still a passive system that doesn't stop you from being buried and killed by an avalanche. ÊAVOIDING avalanche hazard, and always thinking about your own personal safety, are still the key principles to use when traveling in avalanche terrain."

Forwarded by Gary Brill"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
17 Feb 2004 13:00 #168904 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Providing some redundancy by using Recco diode
Charles/Gary,<br><br>I checked out the site. No mention of range. If it does as it says why do these not serve as a replacement for beacons.<br><br>Of course that would mean each member of a party (at least a small party) ought to carry the transciever as well as the reflectors. But the directionality of the system may mean that searches would be faster.<br><br>Still no hard data on the site to suggest better sensitivity or acuracy in search. Or how about multiple burials, etc.<br><br>It seems one good thing is that the diodes may be essentially indestructable and you can't forget fresh batteries or just a transciever that goes bad (I lost a transciever last year because a battery went bad and ruined the circuitry. I am glad it happened while at home.). <br><br>Alan

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
17 Feb 2004 14:41 #168905 by markharf
There is a bit more information at www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15738&start=100 If you're feeling too impatient to wallow through the whole page, note that, while the sending units are quite cheap, the receiving units are said to cost $6500. This doesn't sound promising for the unwashed masses. As Frank suggests, there might be applications for cat skiers, heli-skiers or ski areas.

As usual, it is perfectly possible that there is something I am missing here.