Home > Trip Reports > 2-27-09 Hurricane Ridge

2-27-09 Hurricane Ridge

2/27/09
WA Olympics
Posted by jeff_s on 3/1/09 8:38am
Often the demands of making a living interfere with the more important aspects of real life, but sometimes the work schedule can open the door of opportunity. I had a 1-day job in Port Angeles on Thursday and was too tired to drive back home at the end of the day. My boss has been telling me to take more time off, so when Friday started out with a clear blue sky it was obvious that work could wait till Monday. Fortunately I found a pair of fat skis hiding under the hard hat, boots and rain gear in the car.

The 23" of snow that hit the ridge on Wednesday had consolidated a bit, but it was still near-effortless to float through. No signs of instability anywhere. Even if the snow had been mediocre, the views would have made it worthwhile---it did my heart good to see the return of winter. I saw 4 other skiers dropping through the trees on the east side of the north bowl, and another 8 or so spread out over the east-facing slopes about a mile east of the visitors center. There were a dozen boarders riding the east-facing slope down to the road from the top of the rope tow, car shuttling back to the parking lot. I'd never been to the ridge in the winter before, so I made the mistake of parking up there. Next time I'll park in the turnout that fits about 5 cars a mile and a half before the visitor center parking lot. Skinning up from there lets you ski down to the car at the end of the day.

Oops---pics are located at http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffs1950/HurricaneRidge#

Can someone tell me what I need to do different to make the thumbnail images appear in my post? I followed the directions exactly. Does it have something to do with the fact that Picasa URLs don't have a "www" in them? 

The above experiment worked. Here's what I did (on a Windows machine running the Firefox browser):

* Clicked on Picasaweb link above (http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffs1950/HurricaneRidge#)

* Clicked on thumbnail image on your Picasaweb page to see larger image.

* Right-clicked on large image to view image properties dialog.

* Selected and copied "location" of image from properties dialog. The location of this image is "http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-UdJVXgT7p4/Sara_cEVlyI/AAAAAAAAAJc/r5ltzSMfOYA/s800/DSCN1016.JPG"

* Clicked on "Tb" button on the TAY compose message page to insert "thumb tag".

* Pasted image location in "thumb tag" at places designated by "PASTEimageURLhere1" and "PASTEimageURLhere2".

* Saved the posting and voila, thumbnail appears.

* Gosh, that seems pretty complicated when you type it all out...

Do your pictures always come with sunshine! nice shots .

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=12500.msg52198#msg52198 date=1235958432]

* Gosh, that seems pretty complicated when you type it all out...

Thanks Lowell. It does seem complicated----maybe it just goes along with earning your turns....

Reply to this TR

2-27-09-hurricane-ridge
jeff_s
2009-03-01 16:38:59