Home > Trip Reports > 2-28-09, Yodelin

2-28-09, Yodelin

2/28/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by cmosetick on 2/28/09 1:02pm
Following Rusty Knees suggestion, today Telemack, Stuck-In-P-Town and I went to Yodelin.  ...By the way, Thanks for the up track!! On the way up we encountered lots of wind blown powder.  We made good time getting to the top and dug a snow pit a little below on steeper terrain.  In short, we saw very noticeable layers but upon compression tests, we could not get the column to trigger even from the shoulder.  We had a nice short lunch and performed some beacon burial practice for a little while.  We skied the Northerly aspects facing the highway.  We had three great 1300 or so vertical ft runs on the upper slopes.  I wouldn't call it face shot powder, but it was surely good pow and a lot of fun!!  We skied totally different terrain on each run, so I was a little curious about the localized features where we did our compression test, but every thing we skied was solid.  The lower 500 vertical feet or so right above the highway was crusty but manageable.  There were lots of skiers spaced out on the various slopes of the Yodelin area today, including one large group that we saw from a distance, but did not actually pass by.  It never felt crowded to me, but I did use extra caution on our up tracks after our first trip up top.  In conclusion, the weather was great, the snow conditions were great, and the skiing was great.  Thanks to Telemack and Stuck-In-P-Town for the great company!!

http://www.the808.net/gallery/Yodelin-2-28-2009

Telemack Snot Bubbles, top of Yodelin

Make the old man dig!!

On our way back up
Three of us and a dog were up there on Friday.  The snow conditions were very good until the last 4-500 feet back to the cars.  Lots of sun and fun to be had.
We dug a pit and found similiar layers but really couldn't get them to budge.
It is snowing up there now and supposed to warm.

On our last lap we ran a cool little pillowed face above and R of the top of the old lift. 
Good day. guys---any photos for the world, Chris? 

Nice to see all of you up there yesterday. Given that it was my first outing to Yodelin, it was nice to be with someone who knew lots of options so that we had plenty of open canvas despite the fact that the 10th mountain division seemed to be up there. Lots of dogs having fun too! Some aspects started getting heavier in the afternoon, but we shifted and found fluff 'til the end. It was nice to have had many crust-scuffers head down the road ahead of us before we bailed to the car at 3-ish.

Reply to this TR

2-28-09-yodelin
cmosetick
2009-02-28 21:02:14