Home > Trip Reports > Feb 28, 2009, Red Mtn 5880' Cle Elum with pics!

Feb 28, 2009, Red Mtn 5880' Cle Elum with pics!

2/28/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 2/28/09 12:34pm
Randy and donb, Clem and Barb, Tim, Margy and Pico, and I all ventured up toward Salmon La Sac for this one.  Some good turns, vistas, and camaraderie were had by all.
After about a mile on the Cooper Pass road, we turned up the slope at our usual spot (a TAY search will give more detailed TR's on the route).  The clearcut was firm to 3800 ft. where we gained the upper road.  Turning right and north on the road we took it to the northernmost bowl.  Climbing through a short bit of forest brought us to the great north facing glades on the southside of the creek that drains the bowl.  We crossed the creek at 4600 ft., traversed to the NE rib of the highest summit and worked our way up the ridge and slope to the top.  Snow was great on this run provided we did not stray onto any aspect that faced too far east.  The east and south slopes had a breakable sun crust.   Back to 4600 ft., we skinned up into the main bowl, to various points at the back of the basin, for a second run.  Snow was mostly good, occasionally wind effected, all the way down to the upper road.  Back into the clearcut it was scraping the crust for the remainder of the descent.  We've had it much worse and were thankful the crust was not breakable!
Thanks all for another great outing with the cadre!

If the rain doesn't come we punched in some great skin track for anyone who might venture up into the northernmost bowl tomorrow!

Link to Randy's pics and TR: http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7973491&sid=da90e15e862f84c17ebcd27ee014da98

Pics:
1) to the top
2) Don in great snow
3) Clem in great style
Thanks, Pico for the pics

Glad the gang got the goods.  If I hadn't been introducing  8 high school outdoor ed students to backcountry skiing at Yodelin, I'd been right there with you.  Sadly, looks like a few days of beastly weather heading in.

Reply to this TR

feb-28-2009-red-mtn-5880-cle-elum-with-pics
John Morrow
2009-02-28 20:34:11