Home > Trip Reports > 2/27/09 Kendal Knob Dawn Patrol

2/27/09 Kendal Knob Dawn Patrol

2/27/09
Posted by danengel on 2/27/09 4:22am
TopherVW and I got an early start today up the hill and with a late start time for work, we decided to see how good Kendal Knob would be. We were not disappointed. Lots of fresh, fairly light snow to be had. We ran into Haggis at the parking lot and followed him up. Great way to start a Friday morning. 

The snow down in the trees was pretty bad. But once we got up to the road, conditions had improved dramatically. The snow was starting to get a little heavy as we headed down, but with the way this season has been, I'll take it!

As we headed down, I collided with one of the dogs and sliced open her paw. So that kind of sucked. She seemed to be okay, but Chris had to take her in for stitches. Other than that, it was a beautiful morning!!

If you head up there this weekend, don't take our skin track. We thrashed it pretty well trying to weave our way thru the tight trees down low. Plus we booted out the last few hundred yards due to the injured dog.
Good to bump into you guys up there.  Great way to spend the morning.

Wondered where you were on the way down as I was changed and gone before you got back.  Hope the god is OK.

The lower trees sucked anyway with the nasty bullet crust.

It was great meeting you Haggis!
We didn't follow the skin track as closely as we should have and ended up in the drainage. We had to boot out for awhile before we strapped on the boards again. 
Hopefully the dog will be fine. We bandaged her up and she walked out. But it definitely put a damper on an otherwise great morning.

Hey Dan - incredible pictures!  They almost make it look like winter again.  I looked for your camera at Yodelin yesterday, but it looks like you replaced already ;D.  Too bad about the doggy.

Don

Yeah; sweet photos!

author=danengel link=topic=12480.msg52119#msg52119 date=1235768531]
It was great meeting you Haggis!
We didn't follow the skin track as closely as we should have and ended up in the drainage. We had to boot out for awhile before we strapped on the boards again. 
Hopefully the dog will be fine. We bandaged her up and she walked out. But it definitely put a damper on an otherwise great morning.

So what's with all the dogs in the BC? Two groups at Alpental/Chair last week had dogs. I don't get it. Why is this "cool." They don't wear transcievers or boards so why are they out there other then to drop into a tree well, creek or get hit by other riders.

Irwinator~

Respectfully,  one may decide to bring their four legged friend into the woods with them for any number of reasons; namely proper exercise, and companionship.  Dogs left in condos downtown lead a pretty boring life.  Our dogs get to experience the wilderness and enjoy the out of doors.  It is not about being "cool" its about your pet being a part of the family, unfortunately accidents happen. Accidents can happen with people and animals alike. Those who choose to bring their pets into the backcountry are responsible for their pets and themselves.  Should anyone find a situation where the owner is not responsible for their dog, I would challenge that person to confront that owner directly, rather than make a general statement to all dog owners over the interweb.  Folks who choose to take their dogs into the backcountry are just as entitled to the use of the wilderness as those who don't.

For anyone who cares to know, the dog in question is recovering nicely, and will be back at it in a few weeks!

Got to back up Chris here...  I don't think taking the pooch has anything to do with being cool, I think the dog owners want to enjoy the mountains with a member of their "family".

Not to say that all dogs I've encountered seem to be having a good time, or that there aren't issues to address with dogs in the backcountry, but ultimately it's the owners call, as long as the dog isn't harassing other people/wildlife.  They certainly shouldn't be wearing transceivers though, unless it's one of the Snowbug variety that doesn't get picked up by the 457 models.

Re: Dog skiing - In Jackson Hole, one of my good friends sister is a vet in town. She patches up dogs cut up skiing all winter long 2-3 a week, sometimes more. In the summer, same stats with dogs who fall out of pickups and get chewed up by the roads/other cars. Most dog owners I know would never let their dogs ride in pickups untethered, however, they take them skiing... I see a disconnect.
I like dogs, when I own one, I will not take him/her skiing, unless I commit the 20-40 hours a week to train fully as an avy dog, and even then, first thing I would do is dull my edges as the CARDA guys do in Canada.
Glad Doggy is ok.

author=Tophervw link=topic=12480.msg52135#msg52135 date=1235849310]
Dogs left in condos downtown lead a pretty boring life. 

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but in my opinion, leaving a dog stuck inside a condo all day long could be worse than the risks of being on a snow covered mountain.  Too many pets are indoors all day while people are working or in this case, playing, instead of being included in the fun.  I agree with dogs being a part of your family.  If I were a dog, I think I'd rather risk the sharp board edges, or potential avi, then be stuck inside all day long.  ..Of course, I'm not a dog, nor do I currently have one!!

Way to get the goods guys!!  Glad you had some fun up there! Great Photos!!

irwinator:

with all do respect, that really is a rediculous argument/question/statement.  Some people have irrational passions.  telemark skiing is an irrational passion.  The gear is getting heavier and AT gear is lighter and until recently more efficient while touring.  In addition it is is more difficult to ski in certain situations, so why are telemark skiers allowed out there other than to slow down AT skiers, get hurt and crash.  I am not making this argument just trying to illustrate the obsurd nature of the dog statement.  I think that people are capable of making wise decisions themselves.

For example, I have a golden retriever that lives to ski with me.  This may be an irrational passion.  It is more work, I have to worry about her safety and wellbeing amoung other things.  I would not take her up serious mountaineering objectives but I definately take her everywhere else.  It is my choice and my dog benefits greatly from the choice I make to take her.

How do ski touring dog tag alongs impact you?

c   

Wow thats a pretty weak critique right there. People can take their pets wherever they want unless there's a restriction, and there isn't in winter conditions on BC terrain.

Besides, what about those st. bernards with jugs of hot cider around their necks that save people lost in the snow!? Do they criticise skiers for trying to be "cool" or getting stuck in tree wells....no.. no they don't! They risk life and paw with courageous altruism, not for themselves, but...for you. I hope we've all learned something here today..... I know I have.

Reply to this TR

2-27-09-kendal-knob-dawn-patrol
danengel
2009-02-27 12:22:38