Home > Trip Reports > 2/26 Shhh...Yodelin has the goods...pass it on

2/26 Shhh...Yodelin has the goods...pass it on

2/26/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Don Heath on 2/26/09 3:23pm
The leadup
Got one of those dreaded 7 AM phone calls.  This time from Mark, (MTJ of Ski-joring in Alaska fame: Jan 23-25, Northern B.C. Skijoring) looking for a ski partner.  It took a few phone calls and emails telling customers that "When powder calls, I must answer", and Wow, they bought it! 

I frantically packed.  Never a good idea.  We got a late start, left Shoreline around 9.  Fifteen minutes later I remembered that I forgot my skins.  Back to Mark's to borrow his extra pair.  He also loaned me a water bottle.  No luck on prescription sunglasses.  Even the best of partners can't bail you out on everything.

The dets:
Mark, his snow dog Bear, Anna the aloof, and I finally started climbing about noon from the overflow parking.  Light snow falling, only 3 cars in parking lot, no new skin track,  (nobody in front of us), several inches of soft fluffy snow on top of the old crust.  Looking good down low, we (and the dogs) were stoked.  The crust became less obvious and more deeply buried as we had progressed upwards, with never a sign of sluffing or sliding, no settling or whoomphs. 

About 1500 feet later we stopped for food and transition near the top of the east ridge past the "Dangerous Trees".  The stability was excellent in every setting, mainly judged by pole tests.  Not a track visible anywhere!  Our first lap was down through the clearcut, far east side, then down through the middle group of large trees - Whooping Fun!

Mark set a great uptrack for lap two up through the trees east of the clearcut - lots of boot top to knee deep powder, again very solidly bonded, even at that angle 35 to 40 degrees.  It ws amazingly fun blasting down between the big trees (see the spaces, not the trees!) in some great, forgiving powder.

Lap three was back up to the west end, again uptrack provided by Mark (Whew!  Thanks, man!), then down and out again through the big trees.  It was a FABULOUS Day!  Snowed lightly the whole time.  Light winds filled in part of approach track by the time we left.  And the weather was cold - around twenty all day. 

Denoument:
Go - it calls you.  Don't fight it.  There's so much powder up there.  It's your destiny.
Sounds like an amazing day!!  Way to get the pow!  Any photos?

Thanks RK for picking up the phone!
It was great to get out in some fresh high quality snow; good to meet and tour with you.
Too busy skiing to take many pictures, but the pow is out there and cloudy/overcast skies all day mean it is probably still there!

Overflow parking is the employee housing chalet, ?verdad?  Mosetick and I may go there Saturday.

"Anna the aloof!"   WOOF     8)

Reply to this TR

2-26-shhh-yodelin-has-the-goods-pass-it-on
Don Heath
2009-02-26 23:23:48