Home > Trip Reports > February 7-14, 2009, Discovery Hut, Cariboos

February 7-14, 2009, Discovery Hut, Cariboos

2/7/09
Posted by runningclouds on 2/23/09 12:38pm
I have always overlooked Wells Grey as a backcountry destination in favour of other places. I have been to Wells Gray Provincial Park (about 2 hours north of Kamloops) few times to go hiking, kayaking and whitewater running and for some reason it struck me as a place ideally suited to cross-country skiing. Wrong! The place has some amazing backcountry skiing. During our trip we stayed mostly around treeline and skied super sweet dry powder in open glades including what might have been the best tree ski run ever, a superb 40 over 40 (40 inches over 40°). We did not venture into the alpine, both because the visibility was marginal and the avy conditions still a bit suspect (those facets buried down there somewhere waiting silently). The area does have some grand alpine runs both on Trophy and Moul Mountains, a possibility in the Spring. Check the photos for better idea.

It is also one of the rare places that is accessible without a heli, which means you can have an inexpensive guided trip. We did fly in but skied out, a welcome change to the usual hurry and wait heli operations. If you are hardcore you can ski in and out, undoubtedly a pristine experience.

A short slideshow from our trip:
My son and I did the week long Wells Gray Traverse 2 springs ago with lodge owner Ian. We had everything from bluebird days to blizzards. No helicopter, but we did have a snow cat for part of the way to the Trophy cabin....self- propelled for the rest of the time. We spent several days around Trophy cabin exploring and completing an avalanche course. It took the best part of a day to transfer our gear to the Discovery Hut. We hit the hills around there for a few days before returning for one more night at Trophy.The nightly saunas kept us clean and our muscles loose.Ian has a hundred tales to spin and the company was good. I always recommend the area and the Wells Gray Adventure company.

Bob

Great stuff, thanks -- I'll have to put THAT on the list now too.

Yes, Ian is a great guy! I am going back for sure. For those who are interested Ian's website with all the info is at:
http://www.skihike.com/

The Discovery terrain can be seen in this 180° panorama of Discovery, Moul and Trophy Mountain taken from Table Mountain. The photo has notes that label the terrain, the original size photo (look for the All Sizes link above the photo) shows the detail. Discovery looks like an abandoned ski hill from 1920, the glades are just perfect.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/3294219598

I dug up the trip report that I posted on telemarktips, http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=281411#281411  but the original pictures had been lost due to site melt-down that happened later that year. I tried to reinsert the photos; I couldn't make that happen, so I have just added a bunch of pictures to the thread. Hopefully they will give an idea of our adventure.

It looks like almost everyone on your trip was on tele gear. Sweet. And great pictures too! Thanks.

Reply to this TR

february-7-14-2009-discovery-hut-cariboos
runningclouds
2009-02-23 20:38:11