Home > Trip Reports > February 23, 2009, Mt. Rose backcountry (Tahoe)

February 23, 2009, Mt. Rose backcountry (Tahoe)

2/23/09
US elsewhere
Posted by silaswild on 2/23/09 8:57am
Rain almost all day yesterday at Lake Tahoe made for about a foot of fresh above 8500' today, the breeze compacted it somewhat.  My local friends knew where to find some safe and minimally wind affected lines for a morning tour, since they had to head for work at noon.  We got some good Cascade style skiing, then I stopped at Mt. Rose to check out the lifts, where there are supposed to be some nice steeps like International at Alpental.   The area closed at noon due to high winds, wonder if that is unusual or not?

Off to Reno to get a tire valve stem fixed, buy new leisure shirts at Sierra Trading Post, visit the Patagonia Outlet a week after a great sale unfortunately, get my skis ground at the Leang Ski Shop and Factory, and enjoy a fine meal.  Meanwhile my retirement funds took another 2% hit today, oh well.   I did get offered a job last night as the Pacific NW rep for DudeGirl, a new sport clothing company out of Truckee.
Speaking of fine meals, if you like sushi check out Sushi Pier in Reno. Awesome, cheap all you can eat. My girl and I still joke about flying into Reno just to get the sushi fix ;)

Enjoy Tahoe

Yeah Silas, not too surprised to hear Rose shut down. It was windy today, even down in Truckee. Rose is totally exposed too, not many trees. The west side ski resorts are a little more protected, but it's not uncommon for Homewood and Northstar to be the only places open some storm days. That's not a bad thing though. $25 Homewood tickets and the best tree runs of your life all day! Come to think of it, that was Christmas day just this season!!

looks like good times right out the back door, silas!!  glad you could join us tonight and hope you stick around a little longer.  :)

Nice to see you again Silas and it was fun grinding steel and ptex.

Click image for larger view

Looks like Rose bc was the place to be yesterday! I made plans to ski at Alpine with a friend who drove up from Reno; we got there and witnessed the sideways-blowing wet snow and everything but Roundhouse and Hot Wheels on wind hold, and decided to go get lunch in Tahoe City instead...

Wow, retirement does not suck, eh? ;)  Nice trip and pics!

Shit Silas, if I'd remember you were going to be at the Skibuilders factory I would've had you take those Crossbows to more competent hands.  Are you coming back with a hot-off-the-press new rig?

author=Marcus link=topic=12435.msg52000#msg52000 date=1235519175]
Are you coming back with a hot-off-the-press new rig?

Nah, the Reno factory is not yet producing skis.  Kam ptexed and stoneground the bases of my old skis, then waxed them.  I scraped and buffed.

Nah, the Reno factory is not yet producing skis....

Kelvin and I plan to release 40 pairs (prototypes) of SB Skis in November; 20 pairs crafted in Reno and 20 in Seattle.  We have two designs in mind, each in two sizes.  The Reno sizes will be some combination of long and longer, wide and wider :).  My guess is our friends will want nothing to do with the "Not Made in China; Made by Chinese" brand, so that will leave me with plenty in stock for personal use.  I kinda have a thing for skis...

Reply to this TR

february-23-2009-mt-rose-backcountry-tahoe
silaswild
2009-02-23 16:57:37