Home > Trip Reports > Part 3 - South Sister - 2.17-19.09

Part 3 - South Sister - 2.17-19.09

2/15/09
OR elsewhere
Posted by Stugie on 2/22/09 6:54am
After driving to Dutchman's Flats sno-park outside of Bachelor to set up camp after our trip on Mt. Bailey, we awoke and decided on a rest day in Bend.  We were starting to realize we were biting off more than we could chew.

After taking a day, we were ready for our next item on the agenda: Broken Top and the South Sister.  Like Outkast so famously said in their song "Ms. Jackson" - "You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weather."  This was becoming very apparent, and the weather reports were not helpful, giving us 50/50 odds everyday we were to be out.  We packed, tried to go over our gear lists, and headed off.

The road in.

The first part consisted of following the road down to the junction with Fall Creek, near Sparks Lake.  We were passed by several snomos with boards or skis, smiling, on their way out to who knows where.  As we turned off and began to follow the creek, the sun came out, making for some great views.

Kyle crossing one of only a handful of snowbridges.

The sun seemed great, but ultimately, ended up ruining our plans.  The snow became sticky, and when you are unable to glide any longer, sticky snow makes for long and tiring approaches.  We were so close to our destination (maybe 3/4 miles?) but we were so tired and the time was getting late, we set up our camp early near the base of the South Sister.  By this time, Broken Top looked forever far away, and we began to realize that Broken Top would probably have to wait for another time.  We built camp and ate and made plans to ascend the South Sister, although we loosely agreed that summiting might not happen.

Cold nights and a need to raise morale.

The following day, we were greeted with bluebird skies and incredible views.  We realized early on that summiting would not be a possibility, but if we kept cycling down to our water source near Green Lakes, we could lap the epic powder that was all ours.

Broken Top as seen from the South Sister.

Dan and Kyle skinning with Bachelor in background.

Our plan was to hit NE slopes that hadn't been very sun affected, and although we ended up eyeing different lines, we maintained audio and visual contact and evaluated the snow.  The results from my quick pits were stable conditions, but also an ice layer about 2-3' down with obvious layered powder of differing consistencies above it.  Heavy additional snowfall, wind transport, or increased sun will definitely be factors in propagating these layers.  I dug another pit and pulled on the layers to give a good photo:

Layering.

And then of course, we dropped some sickly good pow lines.  Actually, the best I've had all season.  It was really, really, really good. ;)

Dan drops in.  Kyle waits above.

More lines, and goodness.

After getting our fill, we headed back to camp to fill our stomachs and brace ourselves for the skin out the following day.  Although our objectives had to be put on the backburner, it was a good day for pow, and it was an important trip in helping us learn to cope with changes in weather/plans.  We all went to bed having a fill of food and pow, and dreaming of the day when we can get the elusive lines off the west side of Broken Top.

The next day, we skinned out, and it was easier than expected being as there were no globs of sticky snow to contend with.  Three snomos offered us a ride the rest of the way up the road to the parking lot, so how could we turn that down?  We reached the car feeling drained, yet craving more (as is usually the case with us bc enthusiats...)

The South Sister
Really nice trip!  The sun gods worshipped you on this one.  That's a great line down into Green Lakes.  Good work.

Great photos Scott, I especially like that last one of South Sister!

Thanks Russ.  I took it while on Bachelor and it's got a lift in the bottom... :D  It gives good perspective of the Lewis Glacier area though.  Rong - I would say they worshipped us and spat on us - sticky snow is not fun;)

nice trip! That's quite a haul this time of year. In the photo of you all crossing the lava field I can see where Brenda and I camped last spring. Beautiful spot. Gotta get back there this year.

Glad you guys had a good trip. With 2-3' above the crust it does look like there has been a fair bit more snow down there than in our neck of the woods.

I skied the Lewis Glacier route as a long day trip from Bachelor in May of 1982.

Thanks for the great pics!  The last one from Mt. Bachelor made me sigh and dream of getting back there this spring to ski Broken Top or Middle Sister.

4 of us on South Sister this last weekend - snomo access helped us get quite a bit more skiing in  ;).  Great powder runs and nice snow until we started the slog back out.

Awesome! looks like some great conditions - i love the fire pic!

John Scurlock has recent photos of the S Sister in his inbox - might go hunting for your tracks.  (Thank you, as always, John!)

Reply to this TR

part-3-south-sister-2-17-19-09
Stugie
2009-02-22 14:54:25