telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/20/17, 12:58 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  February 17-20, 2009, Schweitzer Resort, Idaho
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: February 17-20, 2009, Schweitzer Resort, Idaho  (Read 1542 times)
Lowell_Skoog

February 17-20, 2009, Schweitzer Resort, Idaho
« on: 02/22/09, 08:33 AM »

Top: "Schweitzer Sam" Wormington, the area's first manager, in 1965.
Bottom: Sam at the Selkirk Lodge in 2009.

During the Seattle Schools winter break, several families from our neighborhood headed to Schweitzer Mountain Resort in Idaho.  A few inches of new snow fell the day before we arrived, but no additional snow fell while we were there.  Brief summary:

Tuesday, Feb 17: Clear skies giving way to high clouds.  The snow on the groomers was outstanding, with almost no ice.  Off-piste was tracked out but plenty of fun.  I did a dusk patrol on skins to the top of the mountain after darkness fell.

Wednesday, Feb 18: Inside-a-milk-bottle visibility with freezing fog.  (At least the snow was good.)  Rumor has it that a Schweitzer local once offered to print bumper stickers saying "May The Fog Be With You" but the ski shops and management didn't go for it.

Thursday, Feb 19: Clear dawn changing to clouds and fog by the time the lifts opened.  Disappointing, but not as foggy as Wednesday.  The groomers were still excellent.

Friday, Feb 20: Clear morning again.  I did a dawn patrol on skins up the Great Escape lift and along the ridge to the Lakeview triple, keeping a low profile because I don't know what the ski area policy is.  The clouds increased then cleared by afternoon to give us a great last day of skiing.  The groomers were getting hard-packed, and some new snow would be welcome.

We packed up the cars Saturday morning and met at the cafe in the Selkirk Lodge before driving home.  There we encountered Sam Wormington, Schweitzer's first manager in the 1960s.  Sam's picture hangs prominently in the lobby of the hotel.  After chatting awhile, I asked Sam to pose for a photo (above).  In addition to being super nice (and fit!) in his eighties, Sam is author of The Ski Race, a book about early skiing in the Inland Northwest (British Columbia, Idaho and Washington). I bought a copy of his book and Sam graciously autographed it for me.  Meeting him was a real treat.

Scenes from Schweitzer. Upper left: At the top of the Lakeview triple chair.  Upper right: Tom skis the bumps.  Lower left: Girls just wanna have fun after skiing.  Lower right: Dawn patrol on the last day.

« Last Edit: 02/22/09, 04:14 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.