Home > Trip Reports > February 8, 2004, Crystal backcountry

February 8, 2004, Crystal backcountry

2/8/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 2/10/04 4:16pm
Checked in with ski patrol for our morning briefing, ran into Brent H and party on their way out of patrol. 21 degrees and a slight wind at the base of Crystal. There had been some consistant winds during the week and a trace of new snow on Saturday night. North and East facing slopes had some slab releases and some noted on the east facing slopes of the "King". With that in mind Ron, myself, Stefan, and Jerry headed towards East peak to find some west facing slopes. :D The hoar frost on the north side of the tree branches had a cactus spine look. The snow however had a small light layer of non consistent hoar frost. Our up track was over a firm crust with sometimes very slight wind scoured crust in certain areas. We did a quick ski cut and snow evaluation in our area of untracked light to semi light snow before our ski down with good light and an occasional sun break. Those of us that were lighter were able to stay above that light crust in those unsuspecting areas. The lower snow was heavier and did require more management. Ron and Jerry did take some photos and will possibly provide a link for viewing. 8)

Thanks for the TR Maddog, I got a couple of shots of that frost and also the youngest telemarker on record @

Yeah, for being back to the beer by 1:00 we got some great turns in.  I think MadDog managed the spotlight for the best shot I got:

More at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/crystalbackcountry2804.msnw

Nice report, Mad_Dog - tons of snow info, no fluff. I will have to remember to get back to writing mine like that sometimes  ;)
Nice photo, too, Ron. Maybe Matthaeus will see it and I will finally be able to get him to agree to go there.

Nice pictures of the hoars, Jerry!  They're beauts!!  Didn't I hear you whinning about a sore hip?  

Great trip report, Jeanette!  

..., Jerry!... Didn't I hear you whining about a sore hip?

Actually, Darryl, he did surprisingly well considering his condition.  Just a modicum of bellyaching during uphill kick turns and one intimate encounter with a tree while rocketing downhill (which I got a shot of but was discrete enough not to publish it).  
We were fully expecting to have TWO invalids to listen to on the trip; we even had a second walker all set up for you to mount on your skis.  Too bad you couldn't make it!!

Nice photos Ron, and Darryl my sore butt turned out not as bad as I thought it might be right after the crash. 8)

ron wrote
I think MadDog managed the spotlight for the best shot I got:

thats because she's the only one that stays on her feet:)

She does seem to be available for more shots, doesn't she.   ;)

Let's see, hmmmm, if I remember correctly there is a "no falling" rule that 'sag' implemented, so I have this technique that I use, let someone else go first, watch them, and if they fall, don't do that  ;D and like Ron says, "keep the slippery side down".   8)

Reply to this TR

february-8-2004-crystal-backcountry
JMor
2004-02-11 00:16:03