Home > Trip Reports > Feb 19, 2008, MRNP Stevens ridge

Feb 19, 2008, MRNP Stevens ridge

2/19/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 2/19/09 1:04pm
Bailed from work because of projected weather. I found some more than  willing partners. We wern't sure about snow quality(crust?) so we committed to the long legged tour of Stevens ridge. Stevens ridge lies beyond Mazama ridge and the Mazama back bowl. I hadn't been there and Gary V always bills it as tour and it is. The part he leaves out is the good slopes for turns. Most of them are south/southwest facing. You really have to go back there to appreciate the scale of things. Not many do as it is a longish approach and as we know longer getting back. The bonus was the snow was very skiable especially in shaded areas. Even some powder still lingering. Filtered Sun ,Light wind and variable snow conditions. Pinwheels on south facing ,stable on SW and where shaded by trees. More Bonus sheltered powder on way out down MAzama.
here's some of the scope of Stevens ridge in Jeff's pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffs1950/StevensRidge#

[edit to fix Robie's link]

Thanks for the edit!

Very nice.  Letty and I skiied the back bowl yesterday and noticed a couple of sets of tracks on the south slope of that ridge ~ guess they were yours.  I've never been over there as it seems a bit of a truck and haven't come to the idea of skiing  the Cowlitz, which I guess is what's over the top.  Do you head over there by skiing the Mazama back bowl followed by that longish looking traverse, or stay high with the skyline trail and then cut over ?  If you explored over the top of Stevens Ridge, how does the north and northeast terrain look for turns ~ bowls, glades, etc.?  Man, the spine of that ridge looks long enough to give a hundred guys fresh tracks, at least on the south slope.

Once on top of MAzama ridge the best way to get there is by heading north up the old paradise glacier bed skiping,bypassing the rim of the back bowl. Stay high right and diverge right and cross Stevens Creek. We chose to take a long up traverse. One could set a track sooner or boot up depending on conditions.Our original intent was to tour further down on top the ridge. But I got greedy for some turns after noticing a slight shadowing in a slight bend  of the ridge.
Younger legs might get there and back sooner.
It appears one might get there through the back bowl but Stevens creek falls in to a big gorge eastfacing not shown. Probaly have to ski down then back up. You should  take a look from the other side first time before trying.
Many thanks to Gary Vogt the Paradise Terrain Master and Mentor to many for showing us one of his favorites.
He might chip in here with answers .

Yes, from the back bowl it looked like a direct traverse might drop one into the gully from hell...  thanks

author=davidG link=topic=12388.msg51812#msg51812 date=1235231025]
...I've never been over there as it seems a bit of a truck and haven't come to the idea of skiing  the Cowlitz, which I guess is what's over the top.  Do you head over there by skiing the Mazama back bowl followed by that longish looking traverse, or stay high with the skyline trail and then cut over ?  If you explored over the top of Stevens Ridge, how does the north and northeast terrain look for turns ~ bowls, glades, etc.?  Man, the spine of that ridge looks long enough to give a hundred guys fresh tracks, at least on the south slope.

The 'easiest' access for Stevens Ridge is to follow upper Mazama Ridge to the 6200' broad, low saddle (Puget-Columbia drainage divide) a half-mile north of Sluskin Falls.  Instead of traversing left toward Paradise Glacier & Cowlitz Rock, descend north across Stevens Creek, then east to avoid the crevasse-like holes above the "gully from hell" ('Stevens Falls').  I prefer to stay well away from the large south facing slopes above and make a slightly descending mile-long traverse past the top of Fairy Falls to a 5900' small bench below the easiest climb up Stevens Ridge.  Many would probably choose to ascend sooner, but the midwinter snow is often better where the aspect has swung around to more westerly.

It's not difficult to reach Stevens Creek at about 5000' below the "gully from hell" by descending below the Mazama back bowl, but this is an avy exposed hole.  It might be possible to climb directly to Steven's Ridge from here, but it looks much more strenuous and dangerous than the circuitous route above the waterfalls.

Skiing on the east side of Stevens Ridge is limited because of extensive cliff bands, but there is a small 'back bowl' with about 400' vf runs a bit south of the small plateau at 6200'.  The rugged Williwakas drainage and the ridge to Fan Lake lie between Stevens Ridge and the Cowlitz Glacier.  For an interesting mix of mellow glades and killer views, one can follow Stevens Ridge south to point 5648.  There is a nice campsite in the hanging valley where the ridge bends east.  With good route-finding & snow coverage, one can descend steeply by various routes to the Stevens Canyon road just east of the Steven's Ck bridge, taking care to avoid the lower gorges.  It might be interesting to try to continue east along the ridge via the summer cross-country route to Box Canyon, but that would require finding the elk trail ledges that are the only way through the cliffs below Marsh Lakes.

From the top of Stevens Ridge, travel north of the 6200' plateau is made difficult by a short, sharp ridge at about 6400'.  This little rock tower section is sometimes double-corniced.  It's easier, but exposed and tediously up & down to pass to the east via a small, steep NE facing hanging bowl.  An avy or slip here could carry one over the cliffs below.  The southwest side here offers even more steep traversing, plus battles with krumholtz thickets.

Stevens Ridge merges into the topographic octopus that is Cowlitz Rocks at a 6600' bench.  Climbing to this bench from the 'Puget-Columbia' saddle provides the easiest route to Fan Lake and the Cowlitz Glacier terminus.  This is also the best way to access the south-facing slopes closer to Mazama Ridge in corn season.  Winter wind-scouring is often extensive in this area of converging canyons.

Well, Gary, now I know why they call you Mr. Rainier !  With apologies, however, for any appearance of association with management...  ;D

Reply to this TR

feb-19-2008-mrnp-stevens-ridge
Robie
2009-02-19 21:04:54