Home > Trip Reports > Feb 11/09-Rogers Pass/Hermit

Feb 11/09-Rogers Pass/Hermit

2/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by Mtraslin on 2/19/09 4:05am
After a day of ski mountaineer racing in Sunshine village,and a week of visiting my parents.Who have retired in Canmore,Alberta.They lived in British, Columbia all there working lives,but brave as they were in there early twenties they escaped former Czechoslovakia in 1968.Funny they now live near the Hudaks, who son is competing on the canadian downhill ski team.The Hudaks escaped also but my parents never met them in there native Czech republic. With only one day to spare I thought it would be great to stop at Rogers Pass,on our way back home to north vancouver.With an eventfull eleven thirty start,my brother Andy and I were off.Andy was feeling under the weather,he seemed to be operating at twenty percent of his full capacity.After an hour of touring we met a young crew from Golden,who mentioned they were on a Kootenay start.(In the city that means a late start)With our new friends in tow we toured for anouther hour untill we met some young norwegian freeskiers and snowboarders with ski touring gear and snowshoes.Wow to be in your early twenties again.The exuburance was bursting through there goggles,they could not contain there excitement in anticipation of skiing.We exchanged pleasentries and kept going with the Golden crew in tow for anouther hour.After three hours we reached the 7300 foot mark in the low alpine,and with the unpredictable weather this would be our high point.My brother mentioned he wished I had a bungy cord to pull him up.(Not unlike what they use in adventure racing.We said our good byes to the Golden crew,who chose to ski a different aspect.It was a three thousand foot descent on twelve centimeters of fluff over variable snow back down to the car.Anouther beautiful day in the mountains.I thank my parents for showing me the way of the mountains and what they can give.And to all the mountain friends I have lost,I will respect your honour on every peak I climb and never forget you.Take care and be safe in the mountains,and I hope they will guide you.And to those lost souls who stole my fathers long surfboard I forgive you now.But if you could see his sad face when it was gone,I am sure you would have given it back!

Story by Mike Traslin

Photos: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29804

Reply to this TR

feb-11-09-rogers-pass-hermit
Mtraslin
2009-02-19 12:05:35