Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15, 2009, MRNP GYS

Feb 15, 2009, MRNP GYS

2/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 2/18/09 10:09pm
Arrived at Paradise to strong cold wind.  Funny how one quickly changes their mind on the destination in windy conditions.  Ron, myself, Chuck, Linda, and Darryl decided to head for the trees.  With a quick trip down "devils Dip" with variable snow conditions from wind packed to crusty, we skied on over to the "refrigerator" for a treat.  As always the fridge came through with the goods  ;D.  We had parked a car at Narada just in case.  On our last run down to the main Narada trail we found a perfect untouched slope of prestine snow, large enough for our whole gang to have their own first tracks.  Ron, armed with camera in hand, went first.  He made one great turn, going into his second, wham, right over the "handle bars", Darryl went next, cautiously turning, but managing to keep the slippery side down.  Linda picked the best spot with beautiful turns until she "hit the dirt" too.  Chuck and I were at the top, Chuck said "do you think there is something down there we don't know about?".  I said I'd go check it out, one turn, into my second, I too hit the "snare line" and over the handle bars I went.  In the meantime Darryl is watching with the deer in the headlight look as Chuck started down only to hit the same spot and wiped out too.  Our once prestine slope looked just like a Geezer Yard Sale (GYS) ;) there were "geezers" scattered everywhere  ;D.  We picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off and made the rest of the trip upright  8). 
So do you have any idea what this "snare line" was?

Sounds like a classic day for you guys, although I don't think I've ever seen the Mad_Dog yardsale. ronj, yardsale, yes, I've seen that once or twice. An arm's length from the fury is recommended when it happens... ;)

author=JibberD link=topic=12374.msg51702#msg51702 date=1235066826]
So do you have any idea what this "snare line" was?

Yep it was a buried "semi" breakable crust layer.

We tele-folks bust the variable crust one leg at a time, ya know?  Sit back a bit and ease the front ski into the choss. 
I probably would've biffed like the other geezers, but I would have been in good company.

author=telemack link=topic=12374.msg51736#msg51736 date=1235105171">
We tele-folks bust the variable crust one leg at a time, ya know? Sit back a bit and ease the front ski into the choss.
I probably would've biffed like the other geezers, but I would have been in good company.

Jeanette should had more consideration for her backcountry brothers and sisters and warned you all of the extreme hazard we encountered, and informed you of how close we actually came to certain doom.

The fact is we encountered the little known but highly notorious "Phantom Crust". The rare but extremely dangerous, in fact rarely survivable, Phantom Crust is a heavy yet semisoft, wind packed layer, usually 3 to 5 inches in thickness on a much softer underlayment of a foot or more and dusted on the top with an inch or so of cold smoke. You can't really feel it as your skis sink insidiously down through this deadly, smooth and silky layer.  Once your skis are under the dreaded Phantom Crust, your speed and confidence both continue to unwittingly and foolishly increase until the drag on your boots it is similar to that of a ball and chain being dragged through a pig sty.
Once you inevitably fall into this certain trap (no pun intended), this tragically unforgiving anomaly of Ullr's wrath, violent thrusts all skiers, young and old alike, head first into the white abyss. The only possible escape is the zorro/kick turn descent, which is the only thing that saved Darryl from the extreme shame, inconvenience and possible demise that the Phantom Crust imparts in it's victims.

Here's shots of the skiing that led us to drop our guard and fall into the trap of the Phantom Crust:

Unfortunately I have no GYS shots as it took me too long to get my head out of the snow.
A couple more shots HERE.

That's the way to use that "golden geezer card".

Would you go so far as to say it was "Geezer crust"?

Maddog - very exciting TR, and RonJ - brilliant imagery, reminiscent of the assault of North Face Dege.
Im glad you all survived to share your story! ;D

Thanks, Blitz,
Jerry ran the creative on the legendary Dege North Face Assault. I was mainly a roady in that expedition. Nonetheless I'm honored to have this trip incident description compared to Jerry's handiwork.  ;)

Reply to this TR

feb-15-2009-mrnp-gys
JMor
2009-02-19 06:09:29