Home > Trip Reports > wing ridge Feb 13-15

wing ridge Feb 13-15

2/15/09
Posted by fheimer on 2/17/09 1:46pm
I noticed another TR from Wing Ridge but I thought I'd throw this up to put a different take on things.  It pays to know where to go.

Conditions in Powder Shangri La aka Wing Ridge

Well...they were good.

I skied Friday, Saturday and Sunday with a total of 15,000 ft of vertical.  Adding up the feet became a pleasant diversion on the uptrack.  One must keep the mind occupied when skiing solo.

The snow had alot of energy.  Light but full bodied giving nice flotation and a pleasant bouce in the turn.  Snow depth varied between 6"-24" depending on aspect with consistent accumalation of about 2" per day.  Finding wind sheltered NW facing slopes was the name of the game.

Checked out a few new areas and was once again blown away but the sheer amount of skiable terrain less than an hour from the car. 

Met a few folks out there.  Give a shout out if you get a chance.
I was there on Friday 13. It was one of those days that felt like you were sneaking cookies from the cookie jar. Too good to be true. I'm sure the next two days just continued to get even better.  I wish I would have run across your tracks, I was solo and worked after 9 days and 40,000 ft. Did you camp at the snow park?

Hey, Frank, when are you going to come back to B.C.? We are due for a great March after a slow start to the ski season.

Bob

Bob,

Good to here from you.  I might have to make it up there first week of April again.  Still want to ski the spearhead traverse.  Pretty locked into the whole job thing right now.  But i got to be a ski bum for 3 days so no complaints.

Norwthwest,

Damn, that's alot of vertical.  Definately had that kid with the hand in the cookie jar feeling.  It was 4:00 on my last day and I was getting ready to head back to the car and then figured what the hell.  Snow's good, no-ones waiting on me let's do another lap : )  It was worth it.  I usually set up camp on a spot right on top of wing ridge a little to the east of fat ridge.  Did see quite a few tracks out there before they got covered up.  Maybe that was you. 

Keep at it.

Frank

Have any pics?  Pics are good..even face shots.......

Reply to this TR

wing-ridge-feb-13-15
fheimer
2009-02-17 21:46:35