Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15, 2009, Blewett Pass, Diamond Head fiasco

Feb 15, 2009, Blewett Pass, Diamond Head fiasco

2/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Randito on 2/16/09 1:49am
Hoped to ski the NE slopes off of Diamond Head -- but found snow conditions unfavorable. 

Attempted to skin up east slopes from the XC15 trail -- but in the trees found the "mega crust" to be so bulletprooof that there was zero bonding of the 1-2 inches of new snow to the crust and the crust was too hard to get much of an edge.  Ski crampons would have allowed skining in the forest -- but we didn't bring them.

In the clearings the snow conditions were somewhat better -- there was some bonding of the 4-5 inches of light new snow to the mega crust and the crust was softer and edgeable.   Dug a pit and found that the snow under the mega crust was faceted / sugar down to the ground in the open areas.   Booted up along a clearing edge -- punching through the mega crust every few steps.   Checked western slopes and found mostly rocks.    Got a few dozen turns on the gentle SE slopes retreating to FS road 9712 and skated out the road back to Blewett Pass.
I was there on the 8th and found the same conditions. Sorry, I should have posted something to warn to people stay away.

Sorry to hear of your travails, Randy.  We skied by as your crew was thrashing about in the trees above the trail's hairpin turn.  Carrying on up and over the Tronsen Head, we found excellent skiing down through the talus slopes to the road.  Your unbreakable "mega crust" was covered there by about a half-foot of light pow.  All in all, one of my better days skiing this route.

Nice meeting you, Kevin and Maggie; I'm glad we could show you the way. 

author=Randy link=topic=12324.msg51483#msg51483 date=1234806556]
Hoped to ski the NE slopes off of Diamond Head -- but found snow conditions unfavorable. 

Attempted to skin up east slopes from the XC15 trail -- but in the trees found the "mega crust" to be so bulletprooof that there was zero bonding of the 1-2 inches of new snow to the crust and the crust was too hard to get much of an edge.  Ski crampons would have allowed skining in the forest -- but we didn't bring them.

Hey Randy,
Pico mentioned to me yesterday that he cut out a 2 foot square of the "mega crust" and slamming it on whatever he could find (tree, ski, etc.), as hard as he could, and he couldn't get it to break!  Now I'd call that "supportive"!  Give me a heads up on the next time you get over to Kit. Co.
John

I had a fairly large group and just the poor bonding of the new snow on top of the mega crust was enough to unnerve several people.    The new snow was uncohesive so I would expect only some loose snow sluffing if we had ski the NE slope.  That alone was beyond the comfort range of the group.

While booting up I was regularly punching through the mega crust with my boots (I'm a lot heaver than Pico).  Jumping up and down on my (fat) skis it would settle a little bit.  The chances of the mega crust failing over a large area from skiing seemed pretty small.    Someone doing a "big yard sale" would bust some holes in it. 

Reply to this TR

feb-15-2009-blewett-pass-diamond-head-fiasco
Randito
2009-02-16 09:49:16