Home > Forum > February 6-8, 2004, Mt. Baker - Hemi's/Arm

February 6-8, 2004, Mt. Baker - Hemi's/Arm

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
09 Feb 2004 01:02 - 10 Feb 2004 00:51 #211719 by snoslut
Packed in a rv with some buds and headed up to catch the banked slalom.  Pulled in around midnight on Thursday to catch the beginning of the storm blowing in.  Friday was more of the same...gusty winds and pouring rain/snow mix.  We opted to just hang out, watch vids, and have some pretty intense guitar jam sessions.  Anyway everyone that had been outside looked soaked.<br><br>On Saturday the weather calmed down (clouds and fog thru out the day with periods of snow and some clearing) so we made a run for it.  Was pretty crowded in the resort but I was amazed to see hardly anyone in the bc there.  We were in back of the first group that broke trail to the top of Hemi's (about 9 of us).  We all went in our own direction.  Snow was excellent.  About a foot of pow (more in areas where the wind had hit) on top of breakable crust in the gullied areas.  I could tell when I compressed and sank deep after going ass over elbows.  On the steeper sections I couldn't tell cause I opted to straightline instead of turning.  Only thing I do know is that it was fast.  After each lap (3 or 4) we headed for the chutes leading into the canyons.  The chutes usually cliff out but with all the snow it was just steep, untracked, and crusty midway down.  I got that floaty, free fall feeling ;D as I rode off of rollers and into chutes where you couldn't see the terrain below you.  Anyways after our last run we still couldn't believe how many more lines were left.  What a good way to end the day and start the night with hope for the next.  The bon fire was not as amusing but the salmon was grub.  Only saw one person who thought he was fire proof.  Later that night we went to Grahams which was fun but not as fun as drinking coors and chatting with George at the board shop.  That crazy czech.<br><br>On Sunday the weather stayed on the mild side and actually cleared up later in the day where we were.  We headed to top of Hemi's and still got fresh tracks.  There were some lines around but not much.  The snow was just as good but a little more consolidated.  The crust below was now noticealbe in some places. As the day lingered more and more people started hiking.  By our second lap things started to get tracked for our tastes so we headed for the Shuksan Arm.  Made it to the second or third hump before we decided to drop.  Snow was just as deep and felt bottomless like early Saturday.  As we waited for each other we bumped into some of the pro's who didn't make the cut.  We exchanged greetings and chatted about the race and we were on our way.  Was weird dropping in and having Danny Kass, Kier Dillon, and others cheering you on.  Must have been the whole fan boy thing kicking in.  Anyways on this day seemed like the baker bc brought the best out of everyone out there.<br><br>Stuck around to catch some of the awards but left early to beat the masses.  Oh by the way on Saturday I saw group after group touring around Table Mountain when the weather would break.  Seemed like everytime we decided to drop the visiblity got better. What a great weekend!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.