Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15, 2009, Commonwealth Environs

Feb 15, 2009, Commonwealth Environs

2/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 2/15/09 10:35am
A group of 7 of us ( donb, Erik B., Randy, Swooz, Pico, Jake, and I) convened upon Summit west parking for this day of touring hoping for something in the way of up, over, and around Commonwealth in search of some north (and other) sheltered aspects.  Today's up track went far better than Jake's and mine yesterday, as we had worked so hard on the typical no ski crampon, dust-on-crust, slide out, skinning to get up Humpback. 
Quickly reaching the top of the ridge at about 5600 feet, it was time to decide what we wanted to do.  Unfortunately, to our surprise, the north aspect we intended to ski had been significantly buffeted by strong up valley winds.  I think these originated as east winds coming up the Yakima valley and wrapped around some high points to plaster us in the face at the top.  Probably not dangerous to descend, in fact a couple folks already were skinning back towards us, but just not really looking that enjoyable for the extra effort.   No one was in disagreement so we contentedly chose to make the day a ski of the west slopes of Kendall.
Overall the snow was pretty good.  Whenever we found the snow sheltered from earlier sun and wind, the west slope had from 3 inches to 8 inches atop the supportive crust at 5600' down to 4200'.  In the forest coming down we found 2 inches of light new snow had made it through the canopy to cover the crust.  In the clearcut above the PCT parking lot, we found some powder above a somewhat disintegrating crust for actually one of my better exits out of there.
Another good day overall and everyone seemed to work well together and watch out for one another which is a relief in a group of seven!  With the relatively short day I think we'll ski again tomorrow.

If Randy posts some photos at NWHikers I'll add a link later.

If willing I am curious to know the conditions the folks below us found once they dropped in a bit: if you happen to be reading this--Thanks!

John

Reply to this TR

feb-15-2009-commonwealth-environs
John Morrow
2009-02-15 18:35:15