Home > Trip Reports > Feb 14, 2009, Brockway Summit, Tahoe Powder

Feb 14, 2009, Brockway Summit, Tahoe Powder

2/14/09
US elsewhere
Posted by tahoefreeride on 2/15/09 10:19am
The original plan for the day was to ski the south bowl of Rose Knob Peak, but after the heavy snow fall we received last night and the potentially high avalanche danger we opted for lower elevation tree skiing instead. The options are almost unlimited down here, but ultimately we chose the Brockway summit area because of the ability to set up a car shuttle and the fun in exploring a new zone. The skin in was fairly easy even with the amount of fresh snow on the ground because we used the low angle ridge as our ascent. Skiing in the trees was fun, deep and because of the low snowpack there was all kinds of little rock pillows to jump off. Can't beat a good safe day out in a snowstorm with about 1000' of pow. All this new snow is really making things fun again and more is on the way!!
Nice work guys- I could not pull myself out of the resorts, it was simply fantastic! My friends mentioned at the end of the trip that they felt they had not seen me in four days. Four days of powder= me off the grid skiing it!

Let me know if you ever head up this way.

Chris

Yeah Chris, I'd say you lucked out with your timing. That was the best stretch of storms we've had this year. It's too bad everything in the backcountry was so sketchy, but the resorts were just as fun that weekend.

Reply to this TR

feb-14-2009-brockway-summit-tahoe-powder
tahoefreeride
2009-02-15 18:19:56