Home > Trip Reports > Hourglass area - Lake Tahoe

Hourglass area - Lake Tahoe

2/15/09
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 2/14/09 8:45am
today was a deep day - as we accumulated 1-1.5 ft. of blower snow earlier in the week, & then 1.5 ft. last night. this was on top of a hard layer which made for some Alta type snow. one run I was coughing on the stuff. this was the most consistent face shots I've had here in 13 seasons. I kept my mouth under my jacket for the other runs. I seriously wish I had a snorkel ! (old school) - a nice Valentine's, for sure. 
next wk. the storm-track is to come out of the West more, and we have the potential for 'many ft.'  If you guys want to ski the Tahoe area, the rest of Winter should be great.
I was up there on thursday and it was great then.  You nailed it today.  I was Mt Rose and skiing was great.  Even when it was all cut up turns were easy.  This snow down here is amazing.  To bad I have to fly home tomorrow, just as the storms are rolling in.  The rocks are out and with no base over them you sink right over them :)  so watch out. 

Great to hear that someone had a "snorkel day".  Jill and I were thinking of heading towards Idaho but when I saw the forecast and radar for Tahoe we changed plans and started driving to Tahoe.  We should arrive Sunday evening.  The forecast is for high ridge top winds Saturday and Sunday. We were planning to ski Homewood on Monday if the upper lifts at Alpine and Rose are "on hold".

Silas is planning to drive down and arrive on Monday. 

Where are you planning to ski the next few days ?

Zap

Reply to this TR

hourglass-area-lake-tahoe
skimtner
2009-02-14 16:45:31