Home > Trip Reports > February 8, 2004, Snoqualmie Pass

February 8, 2004, Snoqualmie Pass

2/8/04
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jim Oker on 2/8/04 6:56am

In the morning, there was a light melt-freeze crust below about 3,200, then dry but a little heavy powder (nice still) then got into lighter powder up higher. We were riding closer to the surface than last weekend with less of a plume, but still very nice! There had been some tree bomb activity, but not bad. On the way down for the last time toward 4PM, the melt-freeze crust had melted and the heavy dry powder had become more snowman snow up a little higher than 3,200. Fog/clouds all day.
Similar experience in nearby (same?) area. Foot of something close to powder over bomb crust w quality of the newish snow varying from edgy to quite good depending on elev aspect and exposure. Snow in the trees was typically better, even at ~5000 elevations the snow that was open to the sky had just a hint of sun crust or maybe even radiative heating effects (it was foggy most of the day but warmish). Tracks made through this stuff tended to be 9" steep walled trenches, but somehow it still felt sorta like powder when skied. Amazing rime and hoar formations on the trees; cold freezing fog must have been quite prevalent in the weather pattern recently. It's been a while since I've skied old growth. I'm traditionally more of a spring time skier by which time the trees are not where it's at but in mid winter thank god for the big trees and their ability to mitigate melt-freeze.
Tried out a new AT setup for the first time. Still trying to get the hang of getting into those TLT toes with any grace, and I'm not real happy w the 'standard' (eg no tail hook) skin securement on the new pair of skins I used, they don't stick to the topdeck at all even though I left four inches hanging. Probably will retrofit w Glidelite tailhooks.

Either we were under more of a cloud or on a different enough aspect that we didn't see that crust in the open areas except down low. The hoar frost on the trees was indeed trippy - the fog had been doing its work.

I've posted a different pic above, courtesy of Silas, that gives a good sense of the snow in the forest. For more, check out

february-8-2004-snoqualmie-pass
Jim Oker
2004-02-08 14:56:34