Home > Trip Reports > February 5, 2004, Silver Peak

February 5, 2004, Silver Peak

2/5/04
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 2/5/04 8:20am
Silver Peak is a fun trip because it requires different styles of travel.  You start with several miles of road skiing up Cold Creek, then skin up glades and bowls toward the summit and finally scramble along a windswept ridge to the top.

I had a lull in my contract work today, so I headed up after dropping off my son at school.  I wanted a trip where I could cover some distance, see some views, but avoid serious terrain since I was by myself.  I left Hyak at 11 a.m.  and skated the first mile or so along the groomed road.  When the road started climbing, I put inch-wide skins on my skis.  These didn't glide as well as I hoped, but I found I could get pretty good glide by setting one ski in a track left by a snowmobile runner.  I used a sort of lopsided, peg-leg stride, the way Captain Ahab might have skied if he'd been Norwegian.

Above Windy Pass I switched to full-width skins and climbed through timber to the upper bowl on the peak.  The final slope below the northwest ridge was windblown--poor for skiing but safe from avalanches.  As I crossed the ridge the surface got icy so I started to put on harscheisen. Cleverly--I thought--I kneeled and slipped the harscheisen on my Dynafit bindings without taking my skis off.  But when I stepped on the left ski--SNAP--I broke the plastic binding piece that the harscheisen slides into.  (I hadn't inserted it correctly.) Ouch!

The southwest flank of the ridge got icier and steeper, so I took the skis off, tied them to a small tree and scrambled to the summit with crampons and self-arrest poles.

On the trip back, the turns weren't great--too windblown--but the schuss was great payback for those uphill miles.  I tucked and poled down the hill from Windy Pass then skated the last gentle uphill mile to the ski area.  I got back to my car by 3 pm, in time to beat the rush hour and pick up my son at the after-school club.
Nice tour, Lowell.
You're making me feel older every day tho...
Last time I did that trip it took me eight hours!!  ???
What's up with that??    :D

Sounds like fun, Lowell - I've done the "road" portion of the trip several times this year on my skate skis, but hadn't thought of AT gear until I saw your report. Negotiating the turns coming down on XC skis at speed is pretty entertaining, though, and the cardio workout going up is hard to beat.

Greg Louie

I used a sort of lopsided, peg-leg stride, the way Captain Ahab might have skied if he'd been Norwegian.

aw, what a clever way to describe it!

Yeah, Ron - from my own calibration on this route, I'm gonna guess that I couldn't do the Ptarmigan Traverse as a day trip either...

I've done the "road" portion of the trip several times this year on my skate skis, but hadn't thought of AT gear until I saw your report. Negotiating the turns coming down on XC skis at speed is pretty entertaining, though, and the cardio workout going up is hard to beat.

Greg Louie

During the trip, I wondered what would be the ideal gear for this tour. AT gear was overkill for the road, but skating gear would have been inadequate for the summit. One of those fascinating compromise tours...

By the way, Greg, are you the same Greg Louie who used to ski with the Sunnyside Sliders at Crystal Mountain? If so, we've met, but you may not remember me.

Yes, Lowell, the same. Haven't seen you since Avalanche II at Crystal, I guess . . . 5 years ago? Hope to see you in the mountains soon, I'm often at Alpental Mon. (AT day) -T-W and with the kids on Sat.

A real gear junkie would carry the AT gear on the approach, skiing on skate gear, then switching to AT for the climb. Voila!  ;D

Last year I waited until the road melted until just to Windy Pass (but with continuous snow the rest of the way), and the dilemma was resolved (left lots of time for exploring up high and a nice lap or two in that lovely basin).

Reply to this TR

february-5-2004-silver-peak
Lowell_Skoog
2004-02-05 16:20:59