Home > Trip Reports > February 8 - Snow Lake (Snoqualmie Pass)

February 8 - Snow Lake (Snoqualmie Pass)

2/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Big Hurt Bob on 2/8/09 9:16am
I made a quickie tour up to Snow lake. As I was leaving the parking lot a woman who was walking her dog demanded to know where I was going, if I was by myself and did I at least have a radio. I replied I had an IPod since radios are sooo last century.  ??? After following a guided party on a terrible ski track for a while, I dropped down and found the summer trail and followed the dreamy trail to above Source Lake, then turned east to the divide above Snow Lake. I skied out via the west side of the valley. The sun was just starting to soften the snow and I enjoyed some fast turns on the way out. Sorry no pics, I don't own a camera.
I skinned out to Great Scott bowl Sunday afternoon, happy to find softening snow conditions (… finally after skiing there last couple times on boiler plate or ice).  Terrain at skiers left of main drainage was in great shape, temps helped to soften up the wind crust, some good turns.  Higher up in the bowl, some loose snow in areas over firm base but soft enough to hold a good ski edge (maybe newly tuned edges made a difference this time).  Temps in the low 40s.  Some exposed rocks and holes you need to continue to watch for as you descend.  Fast ski out on icy track back to parking lot.

Cesaro, Saw a lone skier skinning up Great Scott Bowl from our perch on top of the Tooth. Was that you? Sounded like a bit of scraping on the way down. Not many skiiers up there for a sunday. Saw a pair coming over from alpy but that was it. not that much cover this year although the bowl looked quite skiiable.

Reply to this TR

february-8-snow-lake-snoqualmie-pass
Big Hurt Bob
2009-02-08 17:16:19