Home > Forum > January 31, 2004, Northback - Crystal

January 31, 2004, Northback - Crystal

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
02 Feb 2004 00:12 - 02 Feb 2004 00:26 #211716 by snoslut
January 31, 2004, Northback - Crystal was created by snoslut
What can I say except for epic.;D  Upper mountain was closed about 2 days and with nearly 2 feet of fresh by Saturday and some help from the winds all bumps and moguls were erased.  Was a super bluebird day with sun gleaming on the smooth surface but mostly in Green Valley.  Got there super early to beat the masses.<br><br>Anyways first 8 laps or so felt empty in Green Valley since everyone seemed to take off for the front side or wait in line for the opening of High Campbell.  I sacrificed a little vert for more laps as the GV lift was empty.  I was able to ride onto the lift without buckling out of my bindings.  Anyways on my 8th lap there was finally a lift line so I made my way to Northback.  I hiked Northway Peak and was greated by some skiers, boarders, and ski patrol getting ready to open the resort bc.  What happened next is a first for me.  After ski patrol decided to open they lectured the group on safety...one at a time sort of thing.  Then the patrol said they wanted to see someone go down.  I volunteered as no one else stepped up. ;D  As I peered over the cornice they blasted I saw that avi debris (looked chuncky hard and it was) had taken out almost the entire chute all the way down to base except for a small line thru that eventually opened up.  Was nice being first in knee deep fresh pow and having ski patrol spot you from above and patrol breaking trail thru the flat sections just before you.  Made a nice exit to some of the narrow tree riddled chutes and the 2 plus miles of traversing very tolerable and enjoyable in some places.  This was all the way to Employment Housing chutes where the snow had gone from deep to not so deep (around 6 inches atop of softened crust).  I cannot say the same for my second run in north.  By the time I got back for seconds the first waves had came thru.  No problem, the pow in the trees were still great and EH chutes still only had a few lines carved into it but things were starting to warm up.  By the time I was back at the base I realized that the mountain had reached critical mass and left for my snowcap and was out by 2pm.  Traffic was fast all the way home.  Cannot ask for too much more...lots of sun, mello crowds and lift lines early, and 10 runs that I can hang a hat on or frame...whatever. 8)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2004 00:42 #211717 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: January 31, 2004, Northback - Crystal
Nice day management, snoslut.<br>You certainly know how to find the inbound goods at crystal.

More
02 Feb 2004 03:30 #211718 by Zap
It certainly was a great day ! A group of us from the Mountaineers were on the opposite side of the valley conducting an avy fieldtrip for our Level 1seminar. I kept lusting as I watched skiers/boarders off Gun Tower Ridge dropping into Shakers, Niagara, Johnson and Old Faithful Chutes. It was a 2 diaper day.<br><br>Zap