Home > Trip Reports > Tahoe area snow

Tahoe area snow

2/15/09
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 2/4/09 10:11am
What's  'down'  up there -   

just a few words about turnin' down here. we're about 2/3 's of avg. so that's not bad,  about a 4-5' base. the good thing is I have NW aspects and if we don't get strong NW winds the snow stays powdery. now the NE aspects, which is the majority of slopes -- they get hammered by that wind.  the NW slopes aren't as grand but I'll just keep skinning and turning them, for now.            'down instead of up, is the snow on the ground -- I sure enjoyed some of the deeeeep pow photos of Christmas : and of course Iggy
I am traveling down there next weekend and am having trouble figuring out what the snow pack is like.  I can't seem to find a good avi site like we have up here.  Something with good history.  From your report need to keep to the N - NW slopes for good snow.  Going to head up for turns Thurs and Friday.  Weather report says snow, but if the weather is any thing like it has been up here that tells me nothing.

Did you already check here?
http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory.php

had not found that site.  Perfect, thanks for the link.  Looks like there might be some good snow up there.  Just need to plan a safe tour or two.

hey skimtner & Robyn,

Thanks for the Avi link Robyn.

Do you guys know of any telemetry / snowfall data resources for  (any part of) the Sierras? I'm heading into Ostrander in Yosemite and  my main resource has been Badger Pass and Sierra Summit  websites.

Looked on TTips and did some Googling but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

yeah, www.sierraavalanchecenter.org has good reports for the Tahoe area. There's also www.esavalanche.org that covers the areas down near mammoth. For snow data you can check out the central sierra snow lab at http://research.chance.berkeley.edu/cssl/ For Yosemite just check the national parks website. The yosemite site updates sporadically in the winter.

Hopefully the storms we're getting down here this week dump a few feet because we sure could use it. Just a little over 60% of average for this time of year. You never can tell though, a couple years back it was just like this year and then it snowed 28 days in the month of March.

There is always something to be found at the NWS - most other organizations build their offerings on top of or in conjunction with NOAA.  Here's the link to their western observations  page.  http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/index.php?wfo=rev  The Snotel stations are most relevant to skiiers I suppose.  There are a couple of dozen telemetry sites there.  Haven't decided which ones relate to prime fly fishing, though.  I sympathize with the other current threads about not letting it be spring yet, but I gotta tell you I'm looking forward to tossin a #16 caddis...

thanks for the sites.  Weather is looking good.  It appears that you guys have been getting a good amount of snow up in the highlands.  Looking forward to getting some turns.  Hitting Mt Rose for BC then on to Donner pass area for more BC.  Looking forward to visiting the area harvesting some freshies for all I am worth.

FYI, I skied Sierra at Tahoe, (South Lake) on the 9th.  On the NE protected areas I hit it felt like about 18" of very nice light snow on an old crust.  The lightly skied runs had minimal scrap off down to the old firm crust.  It was amazingly great skiing.  What a concept; POWDER!.  I did remain spooked all day at the low base, ~3-4', and all the snaglly dead fall and slightly covered boulders in the woods.  If they've gotten more snow since the 9th then all the better.  Its certainly better than what we have here.  Some other runs seemed to have quite a bit less new snow so I think wind and exposure has created significant differences in new snow deposition.  I saw no evidence of wind effects on the snow in this well below tree line ski area.  You'll have to figure it out as my sampling was pretty limited.  But ... there is significant new snow in the area!  Good luck.

Winter has returned down here...WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Stormy & high avy danger the next couple of days, should be interesting.

Had another great weekend at the Ostrander Hut in Yosemite National Park. Powder skiing four years in a row. It's a lucky place for me. I'll try to get a TR going soon. Here is a picture of the mellow terrain that is available from the hut.

A little bit on Ostrander: http://ostranderhut.com/

Ostrander Rocks!!

We got deeeeep powder (2+ feet) 3 out of 4 years over Easter weekend. Its a pow magnet.

We could really use a hut like that up here....

Reply to this TR

tahoe-area-snow
skimtner
2009-02-04 18:11:07