Home > Trip Reports > Bennett Pass, Mt Hood

Bennett Pass, Mt Hood

1/15/09
OR Mt Hood
Posted by AKRefugee on 2/2/09 5:28am
Although it clearly wasn't going to be epic myself and a couple fine lasses decided to brave the death crust and tour up at Bennett Pass.  Since we just moved here and pretty much everything is still fun we felt we would find something worthwhile.  Boy were we right....not about the skiing mind you but the fact that the weather kicked ass and Mt Hood was out in all its splendor. 

After getting lost a few times we finally managed to find the main glades visible from the road (sorry I don't have more specifics, just moved here).  They sure looked dreamy from the top but after further investigation the first glade (north facing) was totally breakable crust, probably not much fun even for a splitboarder.  The second (more northeast) had snow that could very well have been turnable but after doing a few quick shovel tests we decided that the risk vs reward meter was pointing more towards coming back another day.  The slope in question (again northeast aspect) was a little windloaded (only about a foot or so of packed snow) but didn't raise any considerable concern, but after that foot of snow it was absolute crap, a completely rotten layer of unconsolidated facets.  I couldn't even isolate a column to perform a proper shovel test.  The slope wasn't particularly steep so to make a long story shorter the slope may have been fine but the snow just wasn't good enough to push it.  I haven't been out in many areas this winter but seems like something drastic will have to happen (huge dump of heavy stuff) to gets this snowpack in shape.  Still had a great time in the sun but we bagged the turns and went home early for a beer.  Peace.

Reply to this TR

bennett-pass-mt-hood
AKRefugee
2009-02-02 13:28:09