Home > Trip Reports > Jan 31, 2009, Marriot Basin-Cayoosh

Jan 31, 2009, Marriot Basin-Cayoosh

1/31/09
Posted by samoon on 2/2/09 4:45am
Met up with Paul and "haggis" for a brief trip up to the Marriot Basin (Cayoosh).  Made a few poor decisions after measurable snowfall and high winds over night (Friday).  North Facing slopes took the brunt of the loading.  A small, but noteworthy slide was triggered while on ascent.  A partial, but almost full burial took place in a slide that ran for about 40M with a 30cm crown. This report is an FYI for folks who might soon be going to the Cayoosh. Please PM if you want more info.

By the way Paul and "haggis"........Wavin is UK company that produces plastic pipes.......can't be used in Scrabble. Hope your additional trip to Whistler was fun and redeeming.

samoon
Hey, samoon, we haven't met, but I believe you were trying to get in touch with our club regarding a reservation at the Wendy Thompson Hut.

Thanks for passing on the info regarding your near miss to the folks at the Escape Route. Next time, it might be an idea to give your full name before you head in. Then, if there is an incident, it might be possible to contact next of kin, etc.  Search and Rescue commonly contact us regarding who has reservations at the hut when folks go missing.

Again, glad to hear that everything worked out all right.

Glad you are okay!
You look to happy for a guy who was just in a slide,it must be a face of releif!
In ice hockey I was always taught to have a game face on for the camera,even if I was happy!Ha Ha!
Live to ski anouther day!

Good to hear everyone is ok!

Everyone was ok but it was a wake up call how easily these can happen. 

Avalanche.ca had the area as Considerable from alpine down.
We were skinning a 20 deg slope and had planned to dig a pit when it got steeper.
The avalanche propagated uphill to the weak point on the steeper convex slope 20-30m above.
Winds were strong overnight from several dierection but snowfall was light.  There was however a lot of transported snow which obviously formed the slab layer.
Temps in the hut were 26F so a couple deg cooler outside.

We headed out of the valley straight away knowing the forecast was for more snow on Sunday.  Going down the valley there were multiple small slides everywhere on both sides.

I'll post a youtube of the crown later.

Oh and if you take a scrabble board to a hut always take a dictionary too...

morse - an ornamented metal clasp or brooch for fastening a cope in front - allowed
Goji - not allowed!!

Temps in the hut were 26F so a couple deg cooler outside.

You boys will be happy to know that we've packed a new 20 000 BTU kerosene heater into the hut to keep your puppies warm.

Now, if we can find a way to stop folks from trashing the heaters... ;)

samoon, let us know when you want to go back in....

Reply to this TR

jan-31-2009-marriot-basin-cayoosh
samoon
2009-02-02 12:45:36