Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Feb 2009 17:56 #185651 by Joedabaker
Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement was created by Joedabaker
I have been really satisfied with the performance of my new Dynafit FT bindings (4 trips), but I have identified the tragic flaw of the system (at least one). Just mentioning this is like sending up "The Bat Signal", so I hope to get a response from other Dynafit diehards (Jonathan S, Amar and the like) who have or know of others who had to repair similar problems.

The plastic toe lever on the FT struck a branch while I was skiing (less than 2mph) and hyperextended it beyond the cam it clicks on. See picture #1

After extensive review on how to get the toe lever back into it's normal place without creating more damage to the lever or toe piece. I finally pulled the toepiece off and reset the lever/cam.
I noticed that it kept over extending when I clipped it into locked position. I compared closely and noticed that some of the plastic had sheared off that would keep it from overextending.
Compare pictures #2 and #3.

Is it possible to replace the plastic lever? I tried to gently punch the pin out that holds it on to the toe piece, but did not want to force it out for fear of further damage. Better to ask before more forceful action.

This looks that it would be easy to do this again (hyperextend) if I hit any other object while skiing, or hard breakable crust layer and field repair is not that simple as the binding is stuck in nearly locked position. This makes me nervous since my mishap was so simply innocent and is perhaps the tragic flaw of this FT system.

Any helpful info?
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steadyski
  • [steadyski]
More
01 Feb 2009 18:26 #185652 by steadyski
Replied by steadyski on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement
Hmmmm ... not liking the look of this. I have the same set-up, except I have ST s on Kialias. Off hand I would say you have to replace the lever arm.

greg

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Feb 2009 18:52 #185653 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement

Off hand I would say you have to replace the lever arm.

Pretty much what I had deduced.
So how to get that pin out? Any experiences?
And where to get the part for replacement?
Makes me wonder when I have to go for the ski bush whacks what will happen, is there an easier/better field method to repair?
Seems like my Classics toe lever have less exposure to this problem.

More
01 Feb 2009 19:58 #185658 by LeeLau
Replied by LeeLau on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement
Joe,

Call or email Salewa. They can send you a replacement part. I broke the plastic off the lever arm and replaced the entire lever- arm. It was easy to do and didn't require tools.

• Gary_H
  • [GaryJan]
More
01 Feb 2009 21:17 #185661 by Gary_H
Replied by Gary_H on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement
Joe,
I have replaced the toe levers on my Dynafits, it is a simple repair. I have an extra set of yellow toe levers I am not using, I would be happy to send you one and explain in more detail how to change the lever out. Send me a pm at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you would like the lever. As Lee indicated, Salewa is a great source of parts. Their web site is: www.Salewa.com

Gary

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
02 Feb 2009 12:10 #185676 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement

[...]I would be happy to [...] explain in more detail how to change the lever out.

Would be great if you could post that for all of us to read.

Most of my experience is with the traditional toe design (that is the same on both TLT Classic/Speed/Tech/IV and Comfort), but I have Vertical ST on my Manaslu. I have noticed that the toe lever sticks out more prominently, which I suppose makes it easier for some to use, although when I go back and use a Comfort setup, it doesn't seem to matter. (I use gloves all the time though, not mittens.)

• Gary_H
  • [GaryJan]
More
02 Feb 2009 20:19 #185692 by Gary_H
Replied by Gary_H on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement
Here is how I replaced the toe levers on my bindings. The pin that the yellow lever pivots on is ribbed on one end, the other end is smooth. The ribbed end is slightly larger in diameter. With the skis standing tips up in the air, the ribbed end was on the left side of the lever. Using a small rod that will fit into the hole in the plastic lever (or a nail with the point ground off) tap the pin out of the lever, the ribbed end should exit first. Tap the pin completely out. The lever will now come of the metal lever that opens and closes the toe piece. Put the new lever on, start the pin back in, smooth end first. As it enters the gap in the metal lever, remember to put the small spring back over the pin. Finish taping the pin back into place, centering it in the yellow plastic lever. I changed mine with the toe units off of the skis. To minimize the chance of damage to the bindings, I opened my vise just wide enough so that the pin could pass through the gap, then laid the lever on it's side with the pin over the gap. This supported the plastic. The pin came out with moderate taps from a small hammer.
The replacement toe levers come complete with the metal lever that opens/closes the toe piece, and the pins and springs, so you have all new parts to work with.
Hope this helps.

Gary

More
05 Feb 2009 10:00 #185737 by Eli3
Replied by Eli3 on topic Re: Dynafit Toe Lever repair/replacement
Thanks for the fix info - i've done this twice, on two different comfort toe pieces. Once at a ski area where a death cookie caught it, and once skiing through the woods as joe did...