Couloir below F*ck Bowl

• gregL
  • [gregL]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2004 06:01 #168822 by gregL
Couloir below F*ck Bowl was created by gregL
Does anyone know the name of the very narrow couloir that leads out of the drainage from Fuck Bowl (SW from Pineapple Pass)? Some pictures of it from last week trip are at www.obriencycles.com/frompeloton/chairpeak.htm - skiing was not very good at the time (all those lumps were frozen solid) but could be epic on a good snow day. We have been referring to it as "Mike's" as he was the first to jump in . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gregL
  • [gregL]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2004 14:57 #168826 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Ooops, that's actually www.obriencycles.com/chairpeak.htm, the other link won't work.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
28 Jan 2004 17:49 #168827 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
That's got to be the least inviting couloir I've ever seen, imagined or dreamed of.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
29 Jan 2004 01:56 #168828 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
What Mark said.<br><br>Maybe that couloir ought to have the name of the bowl above it?

• JKordel
  • [Alpentrol]
More
29 Jan 2004 03:02 #168829 by JKordel
Replied by JKordel on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
I don't believe we have a name for it on the patrol but F*ck Bowl Couloir seems appropriate. <br><br>Or maybe Daniel's Downfall since that was the route Witkowski took on the beginning of his 5 day journey...

• gregL
  • [gregL]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Jan 2004 03:19 #168830 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Daniel's Downfall has a nice ring to it - is it true he's somewhat vision challenged but wasn't wearing glasses?

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
29 Jan 2004 03:38 #168831 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Adding to my somewhat terse assessment from late last night: the photo of the skier sideslipping (and apparently screaming in frustration), surrounded by water ice, frozen chunks and exposed rocks, is a genuine classic. Thanks for the report.

More
29 Jan 2004 05:38 #168832 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Another name for this tour is "The Folklife Tour". I've done the tour numerous times but from Pineapple Pass, I always traveled in a hard skier's right descending traverse until you find the treed slots. You usually arrive slightly below Melakwa Lake .I've always been curious about the descent route you guys "enjoyed" but the topo seemed to indicate a "sporty descent". Thanks for sharing the photos.<br><br>Zap

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
12 May 2005 11:30 #171712 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl

Daniel's Downfall has a nice ring to it - is it true he's somewhat vision challenged but wasn't wearing glasses?

<br>He wasn't bothering with map or compass, but he's now the poster child for PLBs:<br>www.acrterrafix.com/os/

More
13 May 2005 09:04 #171713 by Jerm
Replied by Jerm on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Please tell me the button on those things is directly linked to an automatic $40,000 withdrawal from the owners checking account.<br><br>Also, must one be maimed to get ripped carbon fiber calves like that? The ladies all laugh at my bird legs.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 May 2005 04:08 #171714 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
Good For Dan!<br>Nearly every backcountry adventurer on all levels can relate some challenging story that turned out for the best. Fortunately mine to this point have had happy endings. I can hardly count the numurous bad situations I put myself in when I was a younger BC touring skier. I am thankful that they turned out safe. Stuff like hanging upside-down in bergschrung by my skis, cart wheeling off blind cliffs and tumbling 200 yards, being trapped in tree wells upside-down and taking the wrong turn on a mountain in fog and decending the way I had not intended, numerous avalanche rides. I'm not embarrassed by these events and they have propelled me to become smarter about what I am doing in the field.<br><br>Dan's story for me is a very inspiring will of survival. What the heck- thank goodness for the PLB company looking to fortune off of someones misfortune. Looks like a win-win to me. He is able to make a living out of a mis-adventure he created for himself. I bet he would rather have his legs back rather than be the PLB posterchild and call it F@*# Coulior rather than Dan's Demise.<br><br>We never know what is in store in life's bag of tricks. ;)<br>Joe<br><br>

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
21 May 2005 05:39 #171747 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Couloir below F*ck Bowl
More correctly its called F*cked Bowl because you are f*cked when you go to far down