Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28, 2009, Bennett Pass, Hood

Jan 28, 2009, Bennett Pass, Hood

1/28/09
OR Mt Hood
Posted by rong on 1/28/09 9:21am
Today was my first real ski on Bennett, and nice lines were bountiful.  Started at 8:15 AM, and skinned up Bennett Pass road holding right on all (3) junctions till i reached a landing.  Conditions were blustery, and mid to upper 20's.  Generally a strong westerly wind, but swirling at times.  Darn canyons and ridges!  The snow was a variety of soft to firm wind pack, with a thin (1/4") rain crust sandwiched in between 4" layers of fresh, all on top of a firm crust.  Stability was acceptable primarily due to the modest amount of new.  The first line off this landing, through the trees proved to be "challenging", as their were many artifacts on the crust, under the fresh, and did i say rain crust sandwich?  My next line was down the east edge of a clearcut, where my helmet cam promptly ejected from it's mount, and sailed out in front of me.  i was lucky, and recovered it quickly.  that spot is where the first pic is from.  it actually skied well from top to bottom, and the steeper the better, as the added energy powered thru the crust.  the problems came on lower angle slopes and could best be described as trappiness. my  3rd and last line (second pic) came in the trees west of the first clear cut, and it skied well also, with the exception of the flat tight  trees at the bottom.  it was a good day.  I'M ready to go again.  Anybody else?
looks like great weather and some decent snow.  Keep at it.

Reply to this TR

jan-28-2009-bennett-pass-hood
rong
2009-01-28 17:21:17