Home > Forum > Mount St. Helens Non-Motorized Corridor: YES!!!

Mount St. Helens Non-Motorized Corridor: YES!!!

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2009 12:08 #185577 by Amar Andalkar
I was pleasantly surprised when I skied Mt St Helens last Wednesday to see NO SNOWMOBILES at all along the Worm Flows climbing route. Saw a few pickups with trailers in the sno-park at trip's end, but never heard a single snomo. It was the first time I'd skied MSH since 2004 (just before the latest eruption started), and most other times I'd skied it in winter or early spring before that, snomos were buzzing near the climbing route and numerous tracks were visible all the way to the rim. I've had snomos show up right beside me on the rim, which is more than just annoying.

I wondered why the snomos were missing this time, and discovered this stunning notice which had slipped under my radar:

Officials Designate Non-Motorized Corridor Along Mount St. Helens Winter Climbing Route. (December 29, 2008):
www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/news/2008/documents/f...otorizedCorridor.pdf

AMBOY, WA – Forest officials have announced the establishment of a non-motorized zone along the popular Monitor Ridge and Worm Flows climbing routes on the south flank of Mount St. Helens.

The climbing route is being closed to snowmobile use to improve safety for winter climbers, skiers and snow-shoers.  Officials have also announced that climbing permits are required for all winter recreationists that travel above 4800 feet on the volcano.  This is a change from previous policy that exempted snowmobiles from the climbing permit requirement.   

"Designating a non-motorized corridor and implementing a permit system that applies to all winter recreationists above 4800 feet regardless of mode-of-travel makes sense," said Tom Mulder, Monument Manager.  "By closing the climbing route to snowmobiles we can increase safety and enhance the experience of climbers and skiers while still accommodating snowmobile use on the south side of the mountain.  The permit requirement helps us track use, and when assistance is needed, the Climber’s Register helps emergency responders identify who is on the mountain," Mulder added.

A map of the non-motorized zone is available online at www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-h...orridormap212208.jpg

That's the most positive news for non-motorized backcountry recreation I've seen in a long time, how come it hasn't gotten any more press? Even just on TAY? I did look and find a post on CC. There is an article in the Oregonian, but I found none in the Seattle/Tacoma papers:
www.oregonlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/20..._sets_snowmobil.html

Obviously, since the Non-Motorized Corridor is only above 4800 ft, there's still a good chance of hearing snomos in the woods below, but at least there is a designated ski trail (non-motorized) for most of that distance, after the first few hundred feet of shared trail beside the sno-park.

Also, since lots of TAYers skied MSH during MLK weekend and last week, I'd be interested to know if everyone else enjoyed a mostly snomo-free day, or if some of them were violating the closure zone and ending up beside you on the rim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
28 Jan 2009 14:21 #185584 by Jason_H.
Very cool. Nice to see some shared uses there. That's certainly positive.

More
28 Jan 2009 14:35 #185585 by JoeMack

Also, since lots of TAYers skied MSH during MLK weekend and last week, I'd be interested to know if everyone else enjoyed a mostly snomo-free day, or if some of them were violating the closure zone and ending up beside you on the rim.

I was up there on Saturday the 17th enjoying the corn and good weather. Although there were lots of snomos and trailers in the lot at the end of the day, I didn't see or hear a single one during my climb and ski. I also hadn't been up there for a few years and do remember sleds on the rim, so it was a pleasant change.

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
28 Jan 2009 16:48 #185587 by Stugie
When Kyle, Dan, and I were up there on the 18th, we saw a bunch of sleds in the parking lots, however, we didn't really see or hear them on the climb up. Could have also been the constant wind deafening the sound...

More
29 Jan 2009 06:33 #185595 by Robie
Amar does a winter permit require going through MT ST Helens institute?
Thanks for the info,

More
29 Jan 2009 06:46 #185596 by DG
I was up there on MLK day (the 19th) and there were a few snomobiles in the parking lot but none on the climbing route, including the trail through the trees. I'm wondering if the policy was prompted by the crater rescue last year of the "curious" snomobiler?

Also nice not to have to reserve the permit through the institute during Winter months, which is an inflexible process during the Spring.

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Jan 2009 10:39 #185600 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Mount St. Helens Non-Motorized Corridor: YES!!
Robie, things are simple in the winter, no need to register online, there's a paper tear-off permit system located at both Lone Fir Resort and the Marble Mtn Sno-Park .

All the permit info is here: www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-h.../permit-system.shtml
Relevant section:

Climbing Season - November 01-March 31
A permit is required.
A permit fee is not charged.
Climbing use is unrestricted.
On-line registration is not required.
You must self-register and pick up your permit at Marble Mtn Sno-Park or at the Climber's Register at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar.