Home > Trip Reports > Jan 25 frog lake

Jan 25 frog lake

1/15/09
Posted by rong on 1/26/09 8:33am
I started from the frog lake snow park, and after distancing myself from the sleds, and dogs I had a nice tour up the butte road.  As i ascended I was thinking this would be the highlight of the trip, expecting bullet proof ice with 3-4 of new fluff on top for the descents.   As i broke out of the trees I began to notice a  breakable crust under the new...Hmm.  I have started to use the word "challenging"recently to describe some of the conditions I have encountered, in lieu of my pet 4 letter words.  I expected nothing less than to be challenged, only to find very nice conditions in the glades, with the 3-4 of new on top of a layer of facets that ranged from 2-6 inches in depth, and very little of the crust I had seen on the ascent.  Good for today, but I will be watching as new accumulates on this layer.  I was much happy to not be "challenged", that I did 2 more laps, before packing it in. 

Nice work Rong!  How heavy was the sled traffic on the road and what time of day did you start out?  Were you on the road for a little less than a mile before you headed up to the saddle?  Thanks,

Steve

Looks like a great area.  I've never heard other people mention it but always figured there was something out that way.  How steep is that run?

Reply to this TR

jan-25-frog-lake
rong
2009-01-26 16:33:05