Home > Trip Reports > January 25, 2004, Arrowhead

January 25, 2004, Arrowhead

1/25/04
Posted by matthaeus on 1/25/04 11:17pm
On early Sunday morning Charles, Russ, Matt and I headed out for Arrowhead on the eastern side of Stevens Pass. As we were getting ready more skiing parties arrived. We followed the logging road to the very end skiining up in at least 4 inches of fresh powder. Underneath was last weekends crust but not as icy and slippery as expected. We broke trail crossing an clear cut into the forest. There we made the break to get ready for the steep sections towards the ridge and the summit of Arrowhead. The other parties arrived and took over the routefinding towards the ridge. Along the ridge we skinned across the leeward and windward side to the summit. The snow on the windward side was far more compressed and towards the summit topped with a thin harder crust. To reach the summit was great but unfortunately not the view. The sun was a little bit shy and most ot the surrounding hidden in the clouds. But a least our summit was free and the view great for the descent. As we were the first on top we also hit the slopes first. Which was really great. The first bit was a little bit tricky with varying conditions underneath the wind pressed powder. Further down a big glade gave way for big fast turns in perfect powder of 8 inches. Everybody was covered in snow due to face shots. A bit of tree skiing brought us back to the clear cut we crossed during the ascend. We did two runs here in the unskied parts. The powder was even better and cushioned the landing from a drop off very well. The skiing through the lower clearcut was fun and the last bit of the logging road brought us back to the car. All in all it was a great day and I got to know another great ski touring area in the Cascades.
Nice job with the report, Matthaeus! I would only add a couple of stability observations. The snow on the south side of the ridge (as in the photo below) was very ready to slide; this was a lee slope, had been receiving some weak solar effects, and it was easy to start a pillow of the ~12" of snow on top of the solid crust moving with a ski push.

When skiing down the W slope (windward) from the summit, there were some thin (2-4") brittle slabs, but they were small. A little farther down where there was more new over the crust (8-12"), I fractured a small pocket of stiff snow in the lee of a tree clump, and it picked up some more loose snow but didn't go very far.

Here's a shot of skinning along the SW ridge:

Matthaeus was a wild man on skis! The influence of some of his recent skiing partners was in evidence, and this was captured in a couple of movies (these are from the upper clearcut - we were too cold to take photos on the top slope). My camera takes movies as ".MOV" files, but Russ said he was able to trick a movie player by renaming his files with the ".mpg" extension, so I have done that for both movies. I brightened up the movie of Matthaeus on his jump, but when I view the uploaded movie, it doesn't look any different - I still have a bit to learn about movie files, I guess.

Anyway, here are movie links:
--Matthaeus' Jump: MOV file or mpg file (3.8M)
-- Wild Man Matthaeus: MOV file or mpg file (2.1M)

I am interested to know if any of those links work.

We got some good still photos, and they will be in a home page gallery next Monday (2/2).

Both clips downloaded and played fine on my Mac.  But...exactly whom did you say Matheus had been watching?  I thought I recognized a faint hint of your own NE 96th Street Couloir go-for-broke technique.  

I filmed the "Matthaeus Jump" run as well  - yours turned out better since I was a hundred feet or so downhill of you. Of course, the "Wild Man Matthaeus" captured him perfectly, as that was the way he skied all day!

But...exactly whom did you say Matheus had been watching?

I didn't exactly say, but I know it wasn't me. I did manage to impress my kids though with a 3' jump off a snow-covered pile of logging slash on Monday. I guess that's going to be the start of my big jumping career.

It's good to know that those movies work. Is there anyone out there using a Mac who knows how to successfully edit these digital camera movies? I used Quicktime to brighten up the jump movie, and when I view the new file on my computer, it is brighter. But when I uploaded the movie and then view it in IE, it looks like the dark version. The mysteries never cease...

If anyone cares to try it, here's a link for the so-called brighter jump movie:
brightened MOV file

mpg didn't work for me on Window XP, real player couldn't recognize the file. the mov worked fine; yes, a wild man!

The new link seemed to work for me too.  Nice skiing Mattaeus!  Sunday was a really good day.

All three links worked for me, xp pro machine. Good turns and air Matthaeus!

A friend of mine did this tour on that coooolllldd weekend right after new years (the same day my Vanagon froze up at the Smith Brook parking area while I was on Lichtenberg). Then another ski buddy sent me a link to this awesome web site and there it was again. I've yet to ski Arrowhead. Can someone please give me the beta on parking, getting started in the right direction, etc. Thanks.

Ski on,
Geoff

Reply to this TR

january-25-2004-arrowhead
matthaeus
2004-01-26 07:17:59