Home > Trip Reports > Juneuary 18-19 - Glacier Basin, Mt Rainier

Juneuary 18-19 - Glacier Basin, Mt Rainier

1/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Big Hurt Bob on 1/21/09 9:25pm
Partner and I skiied the road to White River camp ground and camped Sunday night.  Monday we skinned into glacier basin and up the southernly aspect of Burroughs Mt in T-shirts. We enjoyed nice turns in soft snow until reaching the icy crust in the basin. We skiied out, retrieved our gear and skiied the road out, the last five miles without benefit of daylight. I would have been nice to spend more time skiing in the basin. Next time we will bring a sled.

Big effort Bob,
That is a phenomenal amount of skating.

Nice effort though, that's a haul.  What's the coverage on Ruth look like?  Berkeley Park?

Coverage on Ruth, if I was looking at the right mountain, seemed a anemic for this time of year. Some rocks/cliffs were showing through on the Northern aspect. I don't know what Berkeley Park is, sorry.

Stugie,

Schu and I were up there same day.  I'll put up some pics for you tonight.

Ruth was bony up high and most interesting all N and NW facing slopes looked totally wind scoured and cleaned of snow, whereas S/SE was well covered even after all these days of steady sun.  Guess the last storms blew in from the NW.  Second pic shows Berkeley area.

Bob,

How are those blisters coming?  First pic shows St Elmo's Pass if you didn't get a look at it.

Burroughs Mtn's East Cirque is big and beautiful.  The turns were butter on the S/SE slopes.

Nice pics Boot, thanks for putting those up!

The blisters are healing slowly. I may be able to get out this weekend.

Reply to this TR

juneuary-18-19-glacier-basin-mt-rainier
Big Hurt Bob
2009-01-22 05:25:32