Home > Trip Reports > Jan 17-19 Silver Run BC, Montana (Red Lodge)

Jan 17-19 Silver Run BC, Montana (Red Lodge)

1/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by savegondor on 1/21/09 1:11am
Did some great BC in Montana over a long weekend vacation.  Montana's snowpack is infamous for zero stability until late March and this was no exception.  My solution?  Ski grassy foothills with 3-15in. of snow.  What I got was faceshots, powder, and mostly safe BC skiing for three days on multiple 700-1000 vertical descents.  Still, had there been more snow, I'd have to say things would be scary.  When I did ski some windloaded areas there were dozens of creepy-loud WHOMMPH sounds as the snow colapsed on weaker lower layers.  Cracks would spider out for sometimes 200ft and when the cracks hit trees, the trees would shake.  I would have been more concerned if said snow patch wasn't anchored by exposed sage-brush, or more often than not snow depth of any consequence ended two or three feet to my right or left.  Still, lots of fun in Montana sun for three days.  Bunny rabbits, foxes, and deer were all part of the everyday BC and in town experience.

Video of one of my runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofNmB0crZc

Pictures of my tracks:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jaymehelgeson/12008?feat=directlink
Cool Jayme, nice tr!  Where were you staying in MT?  Great pics too!

Grandparents have a pad in Red Lodge.  they'd drive me up and watch through binoculars. 

is dear shit bad for skins?  anyone?

Not as bad as Yeti shit.  That can really slow you down.

Good job making the best of the conditions Jayme.

Anyone have a fav Beartooth tour?

Whohoo!  Thanks for the vertigo...I kept trying to straighten the camera until I fell out of my chair. ;D  Maybe if I wtch it with my skis on.  Great run!  Lookes like beautiful country.

Great shot of tracks making advantage of side loading in gulleys! Way to ferret out the snow !

Reply to this TR

jan-17-19-silver-run-bc-montana-red-lodge
savegondor
2009-01-21 09:11:19